Rapid Fire: What is one thing you find to be underrated at UConn?

0
0

In the Opinion section, we usually try to work through our convictions thoroughly and completely. It’s important that our arguments are strong, decisive and well-founded. But sometimes, you don’t have to have a deeper reason to believe in something. Rapid Fire is for those beliefs our writers have that can be explained in just a sentence or two. No more explanation needed. 

Opinion Contributor Liz Collins believes Undergraduate Student Government is underrated because they pass useful legislation.  Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

Opinion Contributor Liz Collins believes Undergraduate Student Government is underrated because they pass useful legislation. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

This time, we asked: What is one thing you find to be underrated or underappreciated at the University of Connecticut? Here is what our section had to say: 

Liz Collins, contributor: Not to get too controversial, but USG. We pass a lot more helpful and impactive legislation than you think, and we’re not all political science majors with huge egos. 

Michael Katz, weekly columnist: I know that we’re always hyping up our basketball teams (and for good reason), but a lot of our other sports teams deserve some love, too. Seriously, baseball, ice hockey and field hockey at UConn aren’t too shabby! 

Carson Swick, staff columnist: The beauty of this campus itself is underappreciated. UConn has two lakes and a nice mix of old and new buildings, which anyone can appreciate as they walk around outside. 

Harry Zehner, opinion editor: They fixed the buses and they actually run decently well! Now, it would be great if we had a functioning, free regional public transit system — a man can dream. 

Peter Fenteany, associate opinion editor: I appreciate the goals of our university. Public education and research are both vitally important to our society, and UConn generally tries to do the best it can with the resources it has. I feel pride for my university, and that feels good to say. 

Anika Veeraraghav, weekly columnist: I feel like one thing we don’t talk about a lot is our clubs. There are so many that it’s easy to find at least one that you’re passionate about. 

Henry Willis, contributor: As someone who has lived in this town for over a decade, Downtown Storrs is very underrated. We had literally nothing before it. 

Connor Rickermann, staff cartoonist: Administration. Certainly, not all of their decisions are home runs, but at the end of the day, nobody’s ever actively trying to undermine students and their concerns. 

Pictures of I Lot show the commuter parking spots full during the day. Opinion Contributor Fizza Alam says commuters are underrated and it shows in UConn parking.  File photo/The Daily Campus

Pictures of I Lot show the commuter parking spots full during the day. Opinion Contributor Fizza Alam says commuters are underrated and it shows in UConn parking. File photo/The Daily Campus

Lesly Nerette, contributor: Coming from a smaller campus, I didn’t know what to think of the teachers here. After spending a semester, I see that even with a big class most teachers still care for students; they deserve more love. 

Lia Higgins, contributor: The diversity and culture, including our international student population. I have learned so much about cultures I had never interacted with before, and have gotten way more in touch with my own asian heritage as well. 

Harrison Raskin, staff columnist: Student workers. Our labor is essential to the function of the campus and we are frequently underpaid. 

Fizza Alam, contributor: Commuters. There is no reason for parking to be scarce on a campus so big. Also, why is there only one commuter student fridge? 

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by individual writers in the opinion section do not reflect the views and opinions of The Daily Campus or other staff members. Only articles labeled “Editorial” are the official opinions of The Daily Campus.