Feel Good Friday: Asha for Education to host benefit concert for Mumbai school  

0
0
exc-5e61af3e051e7e4ae456c380

Students in the University of Connecticut’s chapter of Asha for Education will be hosting British artist Mumzy Stranger in a benefit concert on March 7.  

Parth Patel, a sixth-semester molecular and cell biology and political science major and president of the UConn chapter of Asha for Education, said that the money from the concert would be going to support a school in India.  

“All of the money for this concert is going directly towards charity. We’re trying to support a school. It’s called Chehak Trust. It’s a school in Mumbai. It’s a school for children with disabilities,” Patel said.  

This concert is part of the organization’s goal, which is to better education in India.  

“Our mission is to catalyze socioeconomic change through the education of underprivileged children in India,” Patel said.  

Education is a necessary part of breaking the poverty cycle, according to the club’s website.  

“The South-Asian country has over one billion people, many of whom exist in poverty.  Therefore, education is a source of freedom for the younger generations as they try and escape the oppressive cycle of destitution,” reads Asha for Education’s website.  

Asha for Education is an international organization that began in 1991. The UConn chapter started in 2008.  

Karen Alex, a second-semester physiology and neurobiology major and Asha member, said that she joined the organization because of her enthusiasm for educational charities.   

“In high school I was part of a similar club, where we fundraised money for a school in Cambodia. I liked the idea of funding schools, except in India,” Alex said.  

Patel said he originally joined Asha for Education because it connected his interest in joining a cultural organization with his passion for charity.  

“I joined Asha my freshman year because I was looking around at a lot of clubs and I felt it was a great club for the South Asian community as well as just promoting charity. There’s a lot of cultural organizations on campus, but Asha’s trying to bridge the community as well as charity together,” Patel said. 

The concert will be at 8 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom. Tickets for the concert can be found online or bought at the door of the concert.  

Grace McFadden is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at grace.mcfadden@uconn.edu.