Women’s Lacrosse: Huskies seek to remain undefeated at home

0
2

The Huskies win against UMass Lowell 20-14 on Friday, Feb. 23. The Huskies continue to stride forward for a more successful season.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The Huskies win against UMass Lowell 20-14 on Friday, Feb. 23. The Huskies continue to stride forward for a more successful season. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

Following their dominating victory over the weekend against Quinnipiac, the Huskies seek to continue their perfect home streak and make it 4-0. 

UConn (4-1) are currently ranked second in the American, right behind East Carolina. The Huskies are also on a three-game win streak. 

So far the Huskies have improved their attacking side to which they currently have a shot percentage of .578.  Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

So far the Huskies have improved their attacking side to which they currently have a shot percentage of .578. Photo by Maggie Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The Huskies continue to stride forward for a more successful season, and so far they are doing just that while showing off key players that have proven to be essential to the team’s core. 

Sophomore attacker Lia LaPrise earned a spot in the American’s Weekly Honor Roll for the second week in a row, following their win against the Bobcats. In that game LaPrise earned the second-highest record of six assists, with former midfielder Shannon Burke being the first with seven, as well as a goal. So far LaPrise has 11 goals and 18 assists, totaling 29 points this season. 

UConn’s current top goal scorer Sydney Watson scored four goals against Quinnipiac on Saturday, bringing her to 22 this season along with two assists totaling for 24 points. She had six shots that game, in which all but one were shots on goal. 

Another player to look out for is attacker Stephanie Palmucci, as she is the second-highest scorer on the team with 12 along with 8 assists this season. In last Saturday’s game, Palmucci tied Watson with four goals while providing two assists.  

So far the Huskies have improved their attacking side to which they currently have a shot percentage of .578 while also having a stronger percentage on shots on goal (.844). On the defensive side, UConn has been getting better as goalkeeper Grace Beshlian gets more minutes as the last line of defense. Currently she has over 188 minutes played, and while Beshlian allowed 35 shots to go in, she is nearly making it up with the 33 saves she’s made already. In their game against Quinnipiac, Beshlian only allowed three shots in while blocking nine others. Beshlian currently has a save percentage of .485. 

As for their opponents UMass (3-1), the Minutewomen’s shot percentage is lower (.479), however they make up for it in their accuracy percentage of .859. UConn’s offense may look shaky when up against UMass’ defense as they manage to create fewer shots per game compared to the Minutewomen (30.8 and 35.5 respectively). 

UMass played their last game on Sunday against Ohio state where they managed to get a 21-16 victory. They are currently led by their top goal scorer and attacker Haley Connaughton who has scored 13 times so far while providing seven assists. 

David Sandoval is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at david.sandoval@uconn.edu. He tweets @sandovalduconn.