A quick snapshot into the Women in Photography club

0
2
exc-5e69815184dee83a22e976e9

A photo of Yosemite National Park. This photo was taken by a member of the UConn Women in Photography club.  Photo by Charlotte Lao    @ claophoto

A photo of Yosemite National Park. This photo was taken by a member of the UConn Women in Photography club. Photo by Charlotte Lao @claophoto

Apart from photography clubs and other photo-related opportunities on campus, Rita Plante wanted to shed light on the lack of female photographers in the industry through the creation of the Women in Photography (WIP) club.  

Plante, a sixth-semester applied mathematics and communications double major, plans to use the club as a way to blend activism and photography. She mentioned talking about important issues in feminism, such as the wage gap and a higher portion of jobs offered to men in the arts industry, and how the club can work towards making progress in the industry.  

Plante’s interest in photography began when she started attending concerts of her favorite bands and noticed that her iPhone photos were getting better over time. After starting an Instagram account for her photos, she later decided to invest in a DSLR camera and taught herself how to use it by photographing local bands. 

“Through my job at WHUS Radio, I have been able to get photo passes to concerts, which then allowed me to start building towards a professional career,” Plante said. “I haven’t been pursuing photography for a long time, but I am very passionate about concerts, which in turn made me passionate about photography.” 

Plante says she’s received roughly 40 emails from students who are interested in getting involved, and she hopes to form a larger community of members.  

As to how meetings will be run, Plante hopes to hold meetings that will be accessible to photographers of all skill levels and help them gain more experience and better their skills. Normal meetings will consist of discussion around issues in feminism, networking, highlighting female photographers and taking part in photography-related activities. Plante said she also plans on hosting workshops with female photographers from Connecticut and organizing day trips with other members as a way to build a stronger community and practice their photography. 

The first general meeting will take place on March 25 at 6:15 p.m. in Oak 109. For more information on WIP, email rita.plante@uconn.edu or follow the club on Instagram @uconnwip

Brandon Barzola is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.