Women’s lacrosse: Huskies get revenge victory against Columbia

0
2
exc-5e699bf7757f7e6b5c2ae7a9

The UConn women’s lacrosse team beat UMass Lowell 20-14 on Feb. 23. Wednesday, the Huskies took down Columbia 14-7 on top of a five-goal performance from Lia Laprise.  Photo by Margaret Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s lacrosse team beat UMass Lowell 20-14 on Feb. 23. Wednesday, the Huskies took down Columbia 14-7 on top of a five-goal performance from Lia Laprise. Photo by Margaret Chafouleas/The Daily Campus

From the moment junior Sydney Watson won the faceoff (twice, it got called back the first time) at the beginning of the game, you could tell that things were going to go the Huskies’ way. For one, it was symbolic of the dominance unleashed by the Huskies in their 14-7 rout of Columbia at home on Wednesday. For another, you could hear the cheers and intensity coming from the UConn bench. 

“Returners definitely had a chip on their shoulder coming into this one, following last season’s game when they came here and beat us. We definitely had a little extra energy coming into this one,” sophomore goalie Landyn White said.  

Last year, UConn and Columbia’s matchup started very competitive, as the Huskies were ahead 6-5 at the half, but then fell apart in the second half and lost 13-7.  

This time around, it was the Huskies with the big defensive game, as White, who has come off the bench in six of the first seven games for UConn, had seven saves in her first career start. She applauded the defensive unit’s ability to adjust throughout the season. 

“I think defensively, we’ve done really well making adjustments in the game when we need to,” White said. “In the game of lacrosse you’re gonna have goals scored on you, and it’s just making the adjustment in the moment and trusting each other, and playing for each other as a unit.” 

Coach Katie Woods thought the same as well, shouting out defender Alyssa Conklin for causing turnovers and getting ground balls, as well as White in goal for her efforts. 

There were no butterflies in the stomach for White before her first start, as she got the win and saved 50% of the shots she faced. She said she was emotional after finding out she would start for the Huskies. 

“I was really excited, I really trust the defense and what we’ve got going out there, and trust our system,” White said. “I knew it was gonna be a smooth transition, and I wasn’t really nervous, we just had to come out today and do what we needed to do.”  

Early in the game, UConn jumped out to a 3-0 lead over the Lions, followed by a quick counter of two goals to make it 3-2 11 minutes into the game. Woods called a timeout and it took Columbia almost 30 minutes to score their next two goals.  

“I felt like we were flat, I didn’t think we had our normal ‘Husky’ energy and ‘Husky’ style play,” Woods said.“Those little pieces weren’t there in the beginning. I think that that was something they were able to focus into, especially defensively.” 

On the offensive side, UConn was led by sophomore Lia Laprise, who had five goals and an assist to make six points on the day. Junior Stephanie Palmucci had four assists, while junior Sydney Watson had a hat trick. There were seven different scorers for the Huskies. 

This win puts the Huskies at 5-2, and only half a game behind Florida for first place in The American. Their return to action is unknown with the COVID-19 pandemic postponing their game that was supposed to take place on Saturday. Meanwhile, Columbia falls to 0-7 and remains in last place in the Ivy League. It appears this was their last game this season, as the Ivy League announced that all athletic events concerning the league are cancelled for the rest of the spring. 

Jonathan Synott is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jonathan.synott@uconn.edu.