Tuesday, May 14, 2024
HomeNewsUConn cancels in-person classes and graduation for spring 2020

UConn cancels in-person classes and graduation for spring 2020

An email was sent out Tuesday afternoon notifying the UConn community about the rest of the semester due to the growing concern around COVID-19.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

An email was sent out Tuesday afternoon notifying the UConn community about the rest of the semester due to the growing concern around COVID-19. File Photo/The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas announced in an email Tuesday afternoon that classes and exams will be online for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester, and May commencement is canceled, due to the growing concern around COVID-19.

“To the Class of 2020: I know this is not the way you expected your time at UConn to end. I am truly sorry that we will not be able to share the stage in May to celebrate your final year and my first graduation ceremony at UConn,” Katsouleas said. 

Residential Life will communicate with students how they will retrieve belongings from their on campus housing, and students who were approved to stay on campus will still be allowed to, according to the email.

>
To the Class of 2020: I know this is not the way you expected your time at UConn to end. I am truly sorry that we will not be able to share the stage in May to celebrate your final year and my first graduation ceremony at UConn.
— University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas

Researchers on campus are to “ramp down research activities,” according to the Office of the Vice President for Research. Critical activities can continue until further notice. Researchers who can do their work remotely should do so, according to the office. The office said they will provide more information soon.

Employees will continue to telecommute, and those not eligible to will be given further guidance by Human Resources. 

“We will balance our desire to have as few people on campus possible with the need for minimum staffing in key areas that cannot be left untended,” Katsouleas said in the email. 

The university emergency response team and Katsouleas will hold a virtual town hall tomorrow, and are accepting questions from the community. 

“I appreciate everyone’s willingness to be flexible, resilient and adaptable in light of events that are well beyond our control,” Katsouleas said. “And I thank you for supporting one another as we work together in the best interests of the health and wellbeing of our students and families, friends and neighbors across our state and around the globe.”

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl

Ashley Anglisano
Ashley Anglisano is the former news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.