These shows can show you the world (or at least offer some comfort)

0
2

Queue up these TV series for some moments of lightness and comfort during this stressful time and to satiate your wanderlust and offer you some escapism.  Photo by    Gaspar Uhas    on    Unsplash

Queue up these TV series for some moments of lightness and comfort during this stressful time and to satiate your wanderlust and offer you some escapism. Photo by Gaspar Uhas on Unsplash

This is probably one of few times society will ever be unified in such an endeavor, forced to quarantine inside of our homes. It’s only been a couple of days, but being cooped up inside of my house has made the time feel much longer. However, staying inside and keeping our distance from others is the best we can do to help mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, so please continue to do your part. Whether you’re bored or feel like you’re missing out on opportunities that will surely have to be cancelled or rescheduled because of the call for social distancing, it’s a necessary sacrifice and will be over soon enough. In the meantime, queue up these TV series for some moments of lightness and comfort during this stressful time and to satiate your wanderlust and offer you some escapism.

“Chef’s Table” on Netflix

Who doesn’t love food? This docuseries goes beyond showing some seriously delicious food by delving into the stories of renowned chefs from around the world, exploring their personal challenges, culture and influence on the community. Not only will you get to look at some drool-worthy dishes, but you’ll also gain a newfound appreciation for the people in the kitchen and their lives. The filming is topnotch, and each episode offers an emotional connection.

“New Girl” on Netflix

If you need another lighthearted and loveable sitcom to bring you some laughs, “New Girl” has just what you need, with some of the wittiest and unproblematic comedy with a pretty contiguous plotline. The premise of fun-loving and zany Jessica Day (the eerily beautiful Zooey Deschanel) moving in with three equally unique single guys shows your living situation at home can be just as interesting as the world around you. I appreciate the show’s representation and character writing: I truly don’t have a favorite character, and I love all their relationships with one another. Here’s to playing True American with my friends once we’re out of quarantine.

“Big Little Lies” on Hulu

View this post on Instagram

vibes tonight #goldenglobes

A post shared by big little lies (@biglittlelies) on

It’s got comedy, it’s got murder, it’s got a powerhouse of a female-led cast: What more could you want? Based on the bestselling novel by Liane Moriarty, “Big Little Lies” dives into the intrigue and seemingly perfect lives of the beachfront community of Monterey, California. Come for queens like Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern, and stay for the series’ exploration of the romanticization of marriage, family and perfection.

“The World’s Most Extraordinary Homes” on Netflix

This series takes viewers’ love for travel and interior design to heart, following architect Piers Taylor and actress and “property enthusiast” Caroline Quentin around the world to some of the most extravagant and far-off homes. Not only will you get to see some stunning landscapes, but you’ll get to see some insane home design. If HGTV hasn’t been cutting it for you recently, here’s something to revive your love of floor-to-ceiling windows and mountainside abodes.

“Parks and Recreation” on Netflix

I have to plug my new favorite sitcom, up there with “New Girl.” I finally got around to watching it this past school year, and as the source material for some of the most prominent references of our generation (“Treat yo self,” “Don’t be suspicious,” “Galentine’s Day,” the list goes on and on), the heartwarming cast and their relationships will offer you some feel-good moments. Leslie Knope (the brilliantly upbeat and hardworking Amy Poehler) seems like a protagonist that would annoy you, but despite all odds, her determination and optimism will capture your heart, as will the diversely distinct cast.

Some honorable mentions: “The Good Place,” “BoJack Horseman,” “Anne With an E,” “Kim’s Convenience,” “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Street Food,” “The Great British Baking Show,” “Gilmore Girls”

Social distancing, taking care of your physical and mental health and avoiding racist rhetoric are all tangible ways we can do our part. Treat yourself to a binge-watch session for helping out!

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.