Staying digitally connected

0
0
exc-5e7c010188bb4609d8b9b3ae

A photo of a girl on FaceTime. FaceTiming is a great way to stay connected with friends and family during quarantine.  Photo by    Dollar Gill    on    Unsplash

A photo of a girl on FaceTime. FaceTiming is a great way to stay connected with friends and family during quarantine. Photo by Dollar Gill on Unsplash

There’s no denying the world is currently in a very scary and confusing state. We all have different reactions to this global pandemic, but there is no right or wrong way to be feeling; every emotion is valid. We are being told by our governments to isolate, quarantine and socially distance ourselves from others. 

The term “social distancing” can be worrisome for anybody, regardless of whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert. I prefer to use the term “physical distancing” instead. There are many ways to stay connected through technology with family members, friends and colleagues during this time of distress and uncertainty. Social media allows for several ways to keep in touch through apps like Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat and Facebook. Don’t underestimate the power of a text or an email either — it can brighten up someone’s whole day. 

Group FaceTime 

If you and your friend have an Apple device with a camera, this is the easiest method to keep in touch. FaceTime can connect up to 32 people at once. Just schedule a time that works for everyone to stay updated with how they’re coping.

Zoom video chat 

Although this platform has traditionally been used for professional purposes (and now for online lectures), it can also be an easy way to bring your friends together. Simply open up the webpage on your laptop or mobile phone to start a video conference capable of servicing up to 100 people at once. Personally, I like to keep a Zoom call with my best friends active on my laptop for hours to overcome the feelings of loneliness. You don’t always have to be talking, but I find it fun and convenient to be able to immediately update each other. Other websites that work similarly to Zoom include Skype, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. 

A picture of a woman eating pizza and watching Netflix. Watching movies together is a great way to stay digitally connected.  Photo by    Marvin Meyer    on    Unsplash

A picture of a woman eating pizza and watching Netflix. Watching movies together is a great way to stay digitally connected. Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash

Netflix Party 

If you miss movie nights with your mates, try out this way to stay connected. This Chrome extension lets you simultaneously watch movies and shows on Netflix with your friends while chatting with each other. Download the extension from Google, open Netflix and start streaming whatever you’d like to watch. Click on the red “NP” icon next to the address bar to share the URL with your friends who have their own accounts. It will then synchronize the video for everyone and add a group chat. Scener is another website if you prefer to actually see your pals as you’re watching a video.

Snapchat video chat 

During this time of quarantine, most of our appearances have taken a spot on the backburner. If you’re feeling a bit disheveled but still want to virtually chat with companions or a significant other, take a shot at Snapchat’s video calling feature. You can apply any regular Snapchat filter while video chatting. Swipe left on a username and press the phone icon to start a call or create a group to talk to several people at once. 

Emily Pall is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emily.pall@uconn.edu.