A Novel Idea: Return to (or start) a love of language and literature

0
5

There’s something special about books. You can read them at your own pace and there’s one for every kind of reader in any mood or age. Now’s the time to start, or get back to, reading.  Photo courtesy of    @minan1398    from    Pexels.com   .

There’s something special about books. You can read them at your own pace and there’s one for every kind of reader in any mood or age. Now’s the time to start, or get back to, reading. Photo courtesy of @minan1398 from Pexels.com.

Earlier this week, I shared some TV shows to sink into during this indefinite period of quarantine. Whether you’re looking for escapism, comfort or emotional connection, books and words can provide it. Sure, booting up your Netflix account and letting the latest episode of “Schitt’s Creek” play while you’re enjoying a bowl of ice cream (yes, I’m referring to myself), is supremely easy, but as you may have already noticed, even with the plethora of entertainment available at our fingertips, we somehow can still become disinterested. Perhaps a change of medium (i.e., reading) may be needed to reinvigorate your spirits; however, you somehow find yourself spending half an hour looking for something new to watch and nothing catches your eye.

Perhaps a change of medium (i.e., reading) may be needed to reinvigorate your spirits; however, you somehow find yourself spending half an hour looking for something new to watch and nothing catches your eye.  Photo courtesy of    @charlesdeluvio    from    Unsplash.com   .

Perhaps a change of medium (i.e., reading) may be needed to reinvigorate your spirits; however, you somehow find yourself spending half an hour looking for something new to watch and nothing catches your eye. Photo courtesy of @charlesdeluvio from Unsplash.com.

It’s the same reason that you may return to rewatching old episodes of beloved series or movies instead of starting the latest entry on your “To Watch” list: Situational inertia. When you’ve been doing the same thing for a while, even if you’re kind of over it, you find yourself stuck in it and switching it up or trying something new seems like more effort than it’s worth. Well, we’ve got all the time in the world, and here’s some motivation to remind you that switching up your entertainment during this time is totally worth it.

If you used to read often, but haven’t had the time since hitting college (or high school, for that matter), getting back into the groove may seem intimidating. If you never considered yourself a reader, picking up a book instead of your trusty TV remote may seem intimidating. If you love to read, but are stuck in a rut and returned to the same books (situational inertia), starting a new novel may seem intimidating. 

However, the beauty of words, just like with films and TV shows, is there’s something for everyone, and they can just as easily provide you comfort and entertainment. From different genres of fiction — fantasy, science-fiction, mystery and romance — to autobiographies and non-fiction books about every subject you can think of, you’re bound to find something you like.

For the first kind of person I talked about, if you can think of even one book over the past few years that you were interested in reading and then never got around to, make that the first book on your list to read. Got a few in mind? Add them to the list. If you have them in your house, amazing! Get to reading. Whether you want to finish a series you started a while ago or discuss that book your friend recommended, now’s your chance.

For the second kind of person, explore the different kinds of books and mediums I mentioned above. Normally interested in thriller movies? Mystery books might be up your alley. Pursuing a career in medicine? There is a bounty of narrative non-fiction books that cover the topic in an entertaining fashion.

For the third kind of person, motivate those around you to read if they’re looking for another outlet of entertainment. You love reading, so spread the joy. You know you want to read that latest book that’s at the top of your list, so do it — and get others to read with you. 

Unfortunately, but necessarily, libraries are closed; however, if you can shell out a few dollars, order one or two books online. Use the money you would’ve spent on Blaze if you were on campus. If not, you’re bound to have some books at home. Choose a book you haven’t read before, but if that’s not an option, revisit a book you haven’t read in awhile.

There’s something special about books. You can read them at your own pace and there’s one for every kind of reader in any mood or age. Now’s the time to start, or get back to, reading.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @element5 from Pexels.com.

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.