At-home Fitness: Stay active, even when you’re stuck inside

0
0
exc-5e81530babb56b3bf61d33b1

A photo of someone relaxing after an at-home workout. It’s important to stay in shape even during quarantine, and below are some workouts to help.  Photo by    Derick McKinney    on    Unsplash

A photo of someone relaxing after an at-home workout. It’s important to stay in shape even during quarantine, and below are some workouts to help. Photo by Derick McKinney on Unsplash

Don’t let gyms being closed stop you from getting a good workout in. It might not be exactly the same as having all of the access to weights and equipment the gym provides, but it’s still possible to stay in shape while exercising at home. 

Exercise has countless benefits. It keeps your mind sharp, reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, strengthens bones and muscles and can even make you live longer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC also explains that regular exercise can improve mental health, reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety. Even just 30 minutes of exercise is enough to boost your mood and energy levels.

Unsure where to begin? Between Facebook Live, free online classes and a plethora of workout videos on YouTube, there are plenty of resources available to help you get started. After doing some research I have compiled a list below of workouts that can help keep you motivated and active throughout quarantine.

HIIT

If you want to burn calories and sweat a lot, look no further. HIIT, or high-intensity interval training, is a great way to challenge yourself physically without needing to leave the house. It consists of short periods of high-intensity exercise alternated with low-intensity recovery periods. HIIT rarely involves equipment and is usually completed in under 30 minutes, making it a relatively short and efficient workout to do at home. HIIT usually targets your entire body, so be prepared to be sore afterwards. 

Upper body and core workouts

Upper body, especially arm, workouts are probably what we most commonly associate with weightlifting. Luckily, there are still ways to build strength using your own body weight and no equipment. Your core and upper body can still get a great workout at home with variations of planks, push ups, sit ups and more.

Lower body workouts

Although weights can certainly enhance lower body exercises such as lunges and squats (there are so many variations to these two moves, you will literally never get tired of doing them at home), doing them without weight can still be effective. If you have a resistance band at home, using it for floor exercises such as fire hydrants or glute bridges can be super effective and add a little extra burn. 

Yoga

Yoga has endless benefits and never requires equipment, making it a perfect, less intense home exercise option. Yoga can help improve balance, flexibility and strength. Originating in India, yoga has been practiced for hundreds of years and is more than just physical exercise — it is a mental and spiritual practice as well.

If You Like This Read:

Activities to keep you occupied during quarantine

Staying positive during the pandemic

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.