Hearing from Huskies: What you miss about UConn

0
2

A photo of McMahon Dining hall. Many students miss the UConn dining halls, with one student posting that they specifically missed McMahon pizza.  The Daily Campus / Avery Bikerman

A photo of McMahon Dining hall. Many students miss the UConn dining halls, with one student posting that they specifically missed McMahon pizza. The Daily Campus / Avery Bikerman

The first week of online learning is over, and it’s been a little over two weeks since most students have been on campus (although it feels like it’s been much longer). Hopefully, you and your loved ones are doing well and keeping busy. It’s only natural to be missing university life, your friends and maybe even your classes while you’re cooped up inside. I reached out to the UConn community to hear what you missed about campus, and everyone has a lot of love for our home away from home. 

“I miss the simple things that worked themselves into my weekly routine,” Shreya Sreenivas, a fourth-semester physiology and neurobiology and computer science double major, said. “Going to Whitney on Mondays and Wednesdays, or running to the rec center to make a Zumba class or getting breakfast with friends before going to class are such trivial things at school that I miss a lot more at home.”

Despite enjoying home cooked meals, there is the charm and nostalgia of UConn dining halls and food. On Facebook, Cristian Lozano commented “McMahon pizza.”

“I really miss the salad bar in the Union,” Jessica Berry, a fourth-semester nursing student, said. “I also miss the Grab and Go brownies a lot.”

The full Husky experience is one that many students believe cannot be replicated online and at home. On Facebook, Stephanie Tanaka commented on missing “in-person classes,” which Lana Jade echoed, saying “Online classes aren’t the same.” Copierlina Medor, an eighth-semester allied health sciences major, similarly said she missed “being able to physically go to class and learn.” 

“I miss being so well rounded (not just class, but clubs, activities, friends, gym, work, etc.) because UConn isn’t just about going to class,” Maggie Hausman, a fourth-semester special education major, said. “It’s about everything else that you fill your day with, so expecting us to all do our classes like normal is very unrealistic to the actual college experience and is difficult to do by itself.” 

Other students mentioned various places on campus they missed frequenting, going off Sreenivas’ mention of the Recreation Center.

“Definitely miss playing basketball at the rec center,” Roderick Samuda, an eighth-semester civil engineering major, said on Facebook, which Gary Liu also said, calling his noon basketball experiences “one of the best memories and how [he] made most of [his] friends at UConn.”

A photo of Homer Babbidge Library. Whilst students missed the library itself, hardly anyone misses the stressful study sessions.  The Daily Campus / Henry Kulp

A photo of Homer Babbidge Library. Whilst students missed the library itself, hardly anyone misses the stressful study sessions. The Daily Campus / Henry Kulp

Some people, like Andrew Mora said on Instagram, miss good ol’ Homer Babbidge (hopefully not the stress that often accompanies library sessions), while others talked about classic UConn features that we love to hate.

Instagram user @thezajac responded to the prompt with “The wind that blows both ways,” while @eric.sturt said “The wind knocking me over.” @marausha13 said “Walking over a mile to get to my class,” referring to the rather large size of campus that always helps us accomplish our step limit.

“I missed when you walked outside and it decided to start misting even though the weather app said it wasn’t going to rain,” Berry said.

“I miss the terrible wi-fi,” Sruthi Takillapati, a fourth-semester physiology and neurobiology major, said, reminding us all of the divide between networks UConn Secure and UConn Guest, but also acknowledging what’s really important: “I miss seeing all the doggies!”

Sofia Rodriguez, a fourth-semester women, gender and sexuality studies major, made sure to acknowledge everyone’s favorite dog, commenting with Jonathan the Husky’s Instagram handle on our Instagram post.

Huskies made sure not to forget UConn’s successful sports teams. On Instagram, @moirajude said “March Madness,” while on Facebook, Arica Nicole commented, “UConn women’s basketball.” 

Unsurprisingly, many students and other members of the communities mentioned missing the people that made UConn home, with Madison Busick commenting on Facebook about student organizations.

“I miss the lunch dates with my friend group at the U,” Paula Norato said on Facebook, while Sarah Fletcher similarly commented, “I miss running into my friends while walking around on campus and having random conversations.”

Kaylee Grace, a fourth-semester physics and women, gender and sexualities studies double major, said, “Having communities to turn to for support, in person, whenever I need it,” while Instagram user @rigel.wachtmann said, “Running into people I know on campus spontaneously.” UConn English professor Rebecca Rumbo commented “Being in the classroom with my students.” Marisa Liliana commented about “missing the people and the commotion.” 

“I miss being able to walk around campus and never know which friend you might run into, and the random chances to catch up with them and meet strangers,” Stephanie Reitz, university spokesperson, commented on Facebook.

A black and white photo of the beer selection at Ted’s Bar. Ted’s Bar is a student favorite, and will be missed greatly during quarantine.  @tedsbar

A black and white photo of the beer selection at Ted’s Bar. Ted’s Bar is a student favorite, and will be missed greatly during quarantine. @tedsbar

Naturally, lots of students mentioned UConn experiences and places they enjoyed with friends. On Facebook, Brandon Basdeo talked about Ted’s Bar while Darin Mathew mentioned Nickel night at Huskies.

“I miss Late Night Karaoke hosted by Mark,” Grace Brangwynne, a fourth-semester political science major, said, tagging The Daily Campus Associate News Editor Taylor Harton on Facebook. 

And of course, we appreciate the love you all had for The Daily Campus, which we definitely miss as well. Instagram user @nick_bonelli said “doing Daily Campus crosswords,” while various Daily Campus employees commented about missing our lovely newspaper community and production nights.

“I miss the delivery of the Daily Campus at the Library Express and seeing what is the topic of the day at UConn,” Carol H. Scott commented on Facebook.

On Instagram, former Managing Editor Stephanie Sheehan commented, “I miss picking up a fresh copy of the Daily Campus.” So do we — here’s hoping we can do that and more at UConn together soon. 

If You Like This Read:

Helpful tips for taking online courses

Tired of Zooming (*snoozing*) through your lectures? Try learning something else instead

Hollie Lao is a staff writer and the social media manager for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.