Husky ‘On The Road:’ From the couch

0
4

A ferry in the harbor at Ellis Island. Campus Correspondent Kate Luongo recommends taking a virtual tour of the historical site create by Heritage Documentation Programs.  Photo courtesy of the National Archives via National Parks Services

A ferry in the harbor at Ellis Island. Campus Correspondent Kate Luongo recommends taking a virtual tour of the historical site create by Heritage Documentation Programs. Photo courtesy of the National Archives via National Parks Services

To all of my fellow travel enthusiasts, I sympathize with how you must be feeling right now. When the most exciting trip you can take is a walk from the living room sofa to the bedroom, it’s hard not to miss the days of exploration and excitement. 

While staying home is necessary right now, I have some good news: You can travel without leaving the room. In fact, you can travel without leaving your seat. 

Here are my best tips and destinations for virtual travel excursions to take right now. 

Ellis Island 

If you’ve always wanted to check out the Statue of Liberty, there is a great tour you can visit from your own home. Created by Heritage Documentation Programs, the virtual tour includes historic facts and great views of this unique location. Explore the Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital, where immigrants who failed medical inspection were sent. Be sure to check out the view of the Statue of Liberty from the Southeast Corner!

360 Cities

On 360 Cities, you can view panoramic photographs of destinations across the world. The moving pictures help make it feel like you are actually there. I loved visiting Trafalgar Square in London and Jagala Waterfall in Iceland. I recommend picking one country or city and taking a tour, like you would in real life. If you want the experience to be even more authentic, brew a pot of tea if you’re visiting England or have chicken tacos on the streets of Mexico.  

The Hidden Worlds of the National Parks 

This is an excellent resource to not only go on some awesome virtual adventures, but also to learn a lot about our country’s National Parks. Take a tour of Kenai Fjords National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Bryce Canyon in Utah and more. The tours include panoramic views, videos and facts about each destination. You can even “fly with bats” at the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. 

Visit Animals in Real Time

Many aquariums and zoos are now offering live stream exhibits of their animals. Relax with the soothing jellyfish at Monterey Bay Aquarium, or play with penguins from the Mystic Aquarium. If you are wishing for warmer weather, hang out with the pink flamingos at the Maryland Zoo. If you’re feeling more adventurous, check out the live safari cams from Africam.

While virtual travel is fun, there is no replacement to exploring the real world. As the weather starts to get warmer, I encourage you to explore your own backyard. Bring out a chair and sit quietly, observing nature. Or grab a walking stick and explore the woods, looking for different types of trees and wildlife. If the kind of travel you crave is relaxing by the open ocean, reading a book, you can fill up an inflatable pool, dip your feet in and read to your heart’s content. 

Huskies, please share your own virtual adventures with me, and do your best to stay healthy and safe this spring. 

If You Like This Read:

Husky on the Road: A winter day on the beach  

Husky On the Road: Treasure hunting in CT 

Kate Luongo is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.luongo@uconn.edu.