4 easy cocktails to ring in the spring

0
1
exc-5e8526a567274c1aea325baf

Now that it’s April, spring has officially sprung. Warmer weather and sunshine invite the refreshing, sweet cocktails we’ve been missing these past few months. Spring brings new blooms and fresh flavors to change up our winter palettes. And you know the age-old saying, April cocktails bring the end of social distancing…right? 

The Honeybee

Ingredients: 

• 1 1/2 cups water

• 1 bag chamomile tea

• 2 teaspoons honey

• 2 oz. whiskey

• 1/2 oz. elderflower liqueur

• A squeeze of lemon juice

• Sprig of flowers and lemon wedge for garnish

To make this calming, subtly sweet cocktail, first bring the water to a boil. Steep the tea bag in the boiled water for five minutes, then remove and stir in honey. Allow the tea and honey mixture to cool completely. In a glass with ice, add the whiskey and liqueur. Pour in tea to the top of the glass. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and garnish as desired. This whiskey cocktail is a more relaxed version of a hot toddy, and might even help soothe what remains of that winter sore throat. 

Green Tea Sangria

Green Tea Sangria.  Photo by     Olenka Sergienko     from     Pexels

Green Tea Sangria. Photo by Olenka Sergienko from Pexels

Ingredients: 

• 1 bottle white wine

• 4 cups water

• 6 bags green tea

• 1/3 cup honey

• 3 lemons, sliced

• 20-25 mint leaves

Sangrias are usually saved for summer, but this mix is an awesome transition into spring. It’s light, refreshing and combines the perfect springtime flavors, like mint, lemon and honey. Tea-based cocktails are ideal for serving to friends on an April afternoon. Simply bring the water to a boil in a kettle or pot. After taking the boiling water off the heat, add the tea bags and let them steep for five minutes. Remove the tea bags, stir in honey and let cool for about an hour before mixing the rest of the sangria. 

When the tea is cooled, add it to a pitcher along with your choice of white wine, lemon slices and mint leaves. Refrigerate for about three hours before serving over ice. Experiment with different wines or champagne for a unique taste, or other herbs, like thyme or rosemary, if you don’t love the mint flavor. 

Orange Blossom Gin Cocktail

Ingredients: 

• 2 oz. gin

• 1 oz. orange blossom water 

• (can substitute with orange zest or orange essential oil)

• 2 oz. freshly squeezed orange juice 

• 4 oz. unsweetened coconut water

• Orange wedge or flower for garnish 

Nothing is more characteristic of spring than floral blossoms and a hint of coconut. This cocktail combines both for a delicate, sweet drink. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add all liquid ingredients. Shake thoroughly until combined and strain into a glass over ice. Garnish with an orange wedge or edible flowers before serving. 

Blackberry Cucumber Gin Spritzer

Ingredients: 

For the blackberry simple syrup

Blackberry Cucumber Gin Spritzer.  Photo courtesy of    the-broken-bread.com

Blackberry Cucumber Gin Spritzer. Photo courtesy of the-broken-bread.com

• 1 cup blackberries

• 1 cup sugar

• 1 cup water

For the cocktail

• ½ cup of blackberries (extra for garnish)

• 5 mint leaves (extra for garnish)

• 1 1/2 oz. gin

• 1 1/2 oz. blackberry simple syrup

• 1 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice

• A few splashes of lemon lime soda

• Cucumber slices and lime wedges for garnish

Gin is the name of the game when it comes to spring cocktails. While the ingredient list might seem daunting, this is actually a really simple recipe. Start with the blackberry simple syrup by combining the blackberries, sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes, remove from heat and let cool. 

To make the rest of the cocktail, muddle a few blackberries and mint leaves at the bottom of a glass. Add crushed ice to the glass. In a cocktail shaker, combine gin, the blackberry simple syrup and lime juice by shaking for 30 seconds. Pour that mixture over the ice and top with lemon lime soda (to taste), a squeeze of lime and garnish as desired. Serve while cold. 

Thumbnail Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

Related Content:

Martinis three ways

3 Ways to drink the quarantine woes away

Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober