Editorial: Postponing move-out is in students’ best interest

0
5

Thomas Buckley Hall in the fall. Buckley is one of five residence halls that may convert into emergency housing during the COVID-19 outbreak.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

Thomas Buckley Hall in the fall. Buckley is one of five residence halls that may convert into emergency housing during the COVID-19 outbreak. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Late last week, the University of Connecticut Residential Life (ResLife) sent out an email to all students regarding moving out and updated information about the process. The email said the move-out process would be postponed until the University can resume normal operations and that there is a change that the University may have to pack up students’ belongings and store them somewhere safe.

This case is very unfortunate; the entire situation with COVID-19 has been evolving very rapidly and the University has had to make very difficult and quick decisions. The decision regarding the move-out process is very unfortunate, but necessary in order to ensure the safety of all students.

We should all recognize the fact that the University is trying its best to protect its students, staff and faculty. Many students are disappointed with the decision, but it is the best thing that can be done in order to maintain social distancing guidelines.

It is important to note the importance of communication in this situation, however. Before spring break, although the administration tried to communicate with students, many were left to make conjectures of what the final decisions would be based on other schools. UConn did make the initial decision of switching to online classes for two weeks after break much later than other colleges and universities. If students were notified a little beforehand that this was a possibility, perhaps many more people would have moved more things out of their rooms.

Given the circumstances, however, the University has been doing well with what has been happening. The situation is rapidly evolving and their decisions do make sense. If they are forced to move students’ belongings, it will be because UConn has a lot of empty bed space that will be needed to treat others. An influx of students coming to move their belongings would only increase the chances of COVID-19 spreading.

UConn’s decisions regarding move-out have been rapid, and even abrupt. However, they have been necessary, and in the students’ best interest.