From mall favorites to sustainable fashion, online shopping can be easier than you think

0
4

There is something about browsing through pages of clothing that relieves my stress. Whether shopping high-end or wanting to find the best deals, there are many retailers on the market. Here are a variety of online stores that every online shopper needs to know, along with tips to ease your experience.  Image courtesy of    @cottonbro    on    Pexels.com   .

There is something about browsing through pages of clothing that relieves my stress. Whether shopping high-end or wanting to find the best deals, there are many retailers on the market. Here are a variety of online stores that every online shopper needs to know, along with tips to ease your experience. Image courtesy of @cottonbro on Pexels.com.

With a pandemic spreading throughout the world right now, shopping for clothes and buying the latest gadgets are probably not on the top of your to-do list. Especially with self-quarantine orders placed on many states across the country, our favorite stores are closed until further notice. During this time, it is best to save money to purchase everyday essentials such as food.

However, being home all day, I find myself having plenty of time on my hands. When taking breaks from my online lectures, I usually browse the internet for room decor or clothes that I want to purchase in the near future. There is something about browsing through pages of clothing that relieves my stress. Whether shopping high-end or wanting to find the best deals, there are many retailers on the market. Here are a variety of online stores that every online shopper needs to know, along with tips to ease your experience. 

Casual and stylish

When I think of casual, I think of minimal patterns and simple colors. Casual outfits can be worn on a regular school day, a trip to the grocery store or a lunch date with friends. Websites that immediately come to mind are ASOS, Pacsun, H&M and Forever 21. ASOS is a popular shopping website that carries brands such as Nike, Steve Madden and Adidas. Along with their own ASOS clothing brand, the site has many options to choose from, catering to various  occasions and styles. Pacsun is another favorite of mine. The brand offers a wide selection of casual apparel catering to younger people. Pacsun is another retailer that carries brands such as Adidas, Vans and The North Face. Forever 21 and H&M are mall favorites that have even better options online. 

Worth the splurge

There are many high-end online retailers. I was introduced to a website called GRAILED, which is a high-end buy-and-sell site. This website carries brands such as Acne Studios, Supreme and Bape that are popular in the New York fashion scene. Another pro about this website in particular is that the clothes are cheaper than the actual retail price because they are secondhand . Other brands on the rather pricey side (but worth it) are Lulus, Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. 

Sustainable fashion

Sustainable clothing has been on the rise since 2019. I recently decluttered my wardrobe by donating my worn and torn clothes to make room for pieces that I plan to purchase from sustainable brands. Patagonia is a notable brand that sells sustainable clothing. For almost 40 years, the brand has advocated for finding solutions to environmental crises. Another popular brand that produces sustainable clothing is Levi’s. Consumers are becoming mindful of where they purchase their clothes and the effects of fast fashion on the environment. If you don’t know where to start when shopping online for sustainable clothes, start with popular brands such as Patagonia and Levi’s that have already supported the cause. Other sustainable brands are Tentree, Alternate Apparel and People Tree.

Supporting local businesses and online designers

Sustainable clothing brands can be on the pricey side. However, you can still support the movement toward sustainability by purchasing from secondhand and handmade clothing businesses. Apps such as Mercari, Depop and Esty allow sellers to sell their products to customers. These apps are great for finding unique pieces with good deals. With stores being closed, it is more important now than ever to support local businesses by buying their products online. 

I have recently discovered an independent clothing brand called womn, created by Asian American Youtubers Weylie and Sophia Chang. This female-focused apparel line produces conscious clothes following their four pillars to offer the best quality to their customers. I would describe womn clothing as delicately sophisticated. Also if you’re a lover of neutral colors, then this is a brand to check out. 

Amanda Steele is another Youtube creator that launched a high-end clothing line in 2019 called STEELE. As an Asian American, it is empowering to see people of color making their mark in the fashion industry. Other online clothing brands created by designers of color are HSTRY, Wasi Clothing and 10.Deep New York

Shop smart

Eliminating the ability to physically touch products before purchasing creates a hassle when online shopping. Before putting anything in your shopping cart, remember to read reviews. A product that has over a thousand reviews is more trustworthy than a product that has five stars with ten reviews. The more reviews, the better. 

Surprisingly, it is easy to save money shopping online. Honey, a browser extension, finds coupons and promo codes that work when at checkout. Don’t limit yourself to finding deals on clothing only: Honey also finds discounts for everyday essentials, as well as textbooks for students. Check out ‘How to save money as a college student’ for more money-saving online subscriptions, browser extensions and apps. Lastly, compare prices from different retailers. Always have a few tabs open of stores where you think you can get the same or similar pieces and compare the prices. This way, you can get the best deals without breaking the bank.  

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @socialcut on Unsplash.com.

Cindy Lam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at cindy.lam@uconn.edu.