Roundtable: How are The Daily Campus editors spending quarantine?

0
1

Since UConn’s closing took the Daily Campus editors out of the newsroom, they shared how they are spending their time now. 

Kimberly Nguyen, Associate Digital Editor

Learning a new skill, like video editing, is a great way to pass the time while in quarantine.  Photo by    Jakob Owens    on    Unsplash   . Thumbnail photo courtesy of    Christin Hume    on    Unsplash   .

Learning a new skill, like video editing, is a great way to pass the time while in quarantine. Photo by Jakob Owens on Unsplash. Thumbnail photo courtesy of Christin Hume on Unsplash.

It’s been an overwhelming past few days of news, quite frankly, so I’ve just decided to cut out a bit of the news for now and just remember to wash my hands and make sure that I’m doing my best not to be part of the problem. Recently, I’ve taken up going through old videos of my travels from last year, reflecting on all the places I was lucky to travel to. I jumped into learning video editing and learning new tricks. Honestly, it makes my brain hurt, but in a good way. Learning something new and improving myself has helped keep my mind busy, and it’s something to add to my portfolio as well (follow me on Instagram @keemkaptures to check out my latest!). Otherwise, I have a coloring page full of sloths and a sushi sloths page I’m saving for a good day.

Ashley Anglisano, News Editor

I guess in summary, I’m really trying to get my life together. As soon as I moved all my stuff out of my dorm room, I did a deep clean of my bedroom back home, and ripped all the things off my walls that still scream “this is my childhood bedroom.” Since I’m going to be here a while, I want to love the space I’m in. I also started to shop online for some new room decor … even though I told myself I wouldn’t spend any money. I cleaned out my closet and dresser drawers, and donated two large trash bags filled with clothes, which felt really good. While doing all that, I listened to a couple old albums, because I was feeling #nostalgic, and then listened to some new stuff — currently playing: Childish Gambino’s 3.15.20.

Courtney Gavitt, Digital Editor

It’s okay to take time to unwind and relax during quarantine, whether that be by scrolling through Twitter or streaming your favorite childhood shows on Disney+.  Photo by    Kon Karampelas    on    Unsplash   .

It’s okay to take time to unwind and relax during quarantine, whether that be by scrolling through Twitter or streaming your favorite childhood shows on Disney+. Photo by Kon Karampelas on Unsplash.

I got approved to stay at UConn, so I’m chilling alone in my apartment with my cat. Since my roommates are moving out, I moved my TV from the living room to my bedroom, and I’m living in paradise now while streaming Disney+ from bed. After a week of considering it, I told myself I’m not allowed to buy a Nintendo Switch, so instead my boyfriend lent me his 3DS and gave me Animal Crossing: New Leaf (he cleared his old save file for me! He’s a keeper). I’ve more or less been playing that all day, every day while everyone on Twitter is talking about New Horizons. I’m only eight years behind on trends, don’t worry. I keep telling myself I’ll work on my novel or finish some art projects I have laying around, but mostly I’ve just been surfing Twitter in bed. Oops.

Taylor Harton, Associate News Editor

This entire situation feels like a fever dream. Businesses closing, casinos closing, schools closing indefinitely, it is a huge disaster. I am trying to make sure my days still have some kind of “schedule” to them because I will fall apart mentally and emotionally if I don’t have that structure. I try to do my class notes at the same time I would usually have class. I also have been doing home workouts with my mom, and we actually found a ton of fun YouTube videos that conduct virtual sweat sessions. We’ve also been bringing my dog Teddy for his daily walks, and I’m not sure he is too happy about it since he loves staying in and sleeping while all of us are usually gone for work and school during the daytime. I also just moved to Plainville a few months ago from Southington, and I’ve been trying to go on long bike rides on the trails near my house so I can explore the upper part of the state a little more. The other day I actually rode from Plainville to Burlington and it felt so good to get my blood pumping on a nice day despite the stress related to everything going on. 

Related Content:

Isolated? No problem. Easy recipes to make when you can’t go outside

Tourism through technology