Melissa’s Menu: Crepes

0
6

Photo via delish.com

Photo via delish.com

Treat yourself to a fancy brunch at home this week with homemade crepes! Crepes are such an indulgent and delicious breakfast. Originating in France, crepes are similar to pancakes, but what sets them apart is how thin they are. This thinness allows them to be folded over and stuffed with various sweet or savory fillings. Despite their fancy and delicate appearance, they’re actually pretty easy to make. The batter is almost identical to pancake batter, just without a leavener like baking soda or powder. The most difficult part is making sure the batter is lump-free, but as long as you thoroughly whisk as you add in the milk it shouldn’t be a problem. Dress up your crepes with fresh fruit, Nutella, peanut butter or whipped cream, or enjoy plain with some powdered sugar. 

Ingredients

1 cup of all-purpose flour

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon of granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt

1 1/2 cup of whole milk

1 tablespoon of butter

Toppings/fillings of choice

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, create a well with flour and then add eggs, slowly whisking them into the flour. Add sugar and salt and stir until combined. Gradually add in milk, whisking to combine after each addition. Let the batter stand at room temperature until slightly bubbly on top, for about 15 to 20 minutes. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Measuring about 1/4 of a cup at a time, drop batter evenly onto pan, swirling it to evenly coat. Cook for two minutes, then flip and cook for one more minute. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with toppings of your choice and enjoy!

Related Content:

Melissa’s Menu: Restaurant favorites at home

Melissa’s Menu: Homemade pasta

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.