Products that will keep your skin looking glowy and healthy while at home

0
3

We may be locked up in our houses indefinitely, but that does not mean you still can’t look your best. Follow this easy skincare routine to look and feel better.  Photo by Jess @ Harper Sunday on Unsplash.

We may be locked up in our houses indefinitely, but that does not mean you still can’t look your best. Follow this easy skincare routine to look and feel better. Photo by Jess @ Harper Sunday on Unsplash.

Now more than ever, there is plenty of time to practice self-care. Take yourself back to those sleepless nights before an exam, and how much you wished you could take a bath or indulge in some pampering … well, now you can! The main thing that has been getting me through this historical time is having some self-care routines in place that I can do everyday. My personal favorite is my skincare routine. Not only does it provide 10 minutes of pure relaxation, but it ensures my skin is looking as glowy as possible for when it’s time to socialize again. Here are a few products that I have been loving throughout the years and swear by religiously. 

Cleanser 

The cleanser I have been using for as long as I can remember is Mario Badescu’s Acne Facial Cleanser. It seems to be the perfect combination of rough enough where it dries up and prevents any breakouts, but soft enough where it does not completely take out all the moisture from my skin. What’s even better is it doesn’t completely break the bank, coming in at $15. 

Toner 

I was never an avid toner user until one of my friends introduced me to Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel. Ever since then my life has completely changed. Morning and night I take a cotton round, soak it in a bit of witch hazel and then gently rub it around my face. Made in Fairfield, Connecticut on a family farm, Thayer’s toner is alcohol-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free and gluten-free. It works to restore the pH levels in your skin, and only costs $10.95 for a 12-ounce bottle. 

Moisturizer 

Moisturizing may be the most important step in my skincare routine. Moisturizing is analogous to watering plants. While my skin may be clear, if I do not “water” it with moisturizer it will look dull and flat. My two favorite moisturizers both come from Clinique. The moisturizer I use during the day is Clinique’s Dramatically Different lotion, and at night I use Clinique’s Turnaround Overnight Revitalizing moisturizer. The two practically do the same job; however, the overnight moisturizer is a bit thicker and needs more time to soak into the skin.  These two products are a bit more expensive, coming in at $28 and $42. 

Sometimes it is necessary to spend a little extra money to treat yourself. Many beauty products may seem to cost too much money, but the results speak for themselves.  Photo by Charisse Kenion on Unsplash.

Sometimes it is necessary to spend a little extra money to treat yourself. Many beauty products may seem to cost too much money, but the results speak for themselves. Photo by Charisse Kenion on Unsplash.

Serum

There was a time where tons of beauty gurus would constantly rave about Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate. On Kiehl’s website it is described as their top-rated facial oil, “formulated with distilled botanicals including lavender essential oil, evening primrose oil and squalene” that in one night will help “replenish skin for visibly smoother, more radiant skin by morning.” I never knew if I wanted to buy this product, because at $50 for a one-ounce bottle it is definitely a major splurge; however, eventually I bit the bullet. I will say that the product does do everything it says and is definitely worth the money. I use it about two to three times a week and always can tell a difference in my skin when I wake up in the morning. It provides a glow from within, making your skin look healthy and taken care of. Over one year later and I am just now hitting the halfway point in my bottle. 

Mask 

The newest addition to my skincare routine is Kiehl’s Turmeric & Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Mask. I was searching for a mask that would brighten my skin, yet exfoliate at the same time. The wonderful lady at Sephora introduced me to this product and I can genuinely say it is my favorite mask I have ever used. When applied, it provides a cooling sensation to the skin and then slowly dries over the course of 10 minutes. Throughout the mask there are crushed cranberry seeds which will work to exfoliate your skin during removal. My skin visibly looks brighter every time I use it, which is at least once a week. A 3.4-ounce jar retails for $45. 

These products are what constitutes 95% of  my skincare routine at all times. I prefer a simple five-step process that will not be a hassle if I am running short on time, yet still properly cleanse my skin. While skincare is important, don’t forget to nourish your body with nutritious foods and plenty of water. After all, what’s most important is what we put in our bodies, not what we put on top of our bodies. 

Thumbnail photo by ONNE Beauty on Unsplash.

Related Content:

Tips and tricks for staying healthy while traveling

Spring Has Sprung: Fashion staples for spring 2020

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.