‘Brews Brothers’ takes a leak on comedy

0
1

Netflix has released many impressive shows and movies across a plethora of genres over the past couple years. “Brews Brothers,” is an example of a Netflix idea gone horribly wrong.  Photo via IMDb.com .

Netflix has released many impressive shows and movies across a plethora of genres over the past couple years. “Brews Brothers,” is an example of a Netflix idea gone horribly wrong. Photo via IMDb.com.

Netflix’s newest sitcom “Brews Brothers” is an absolute trainwreck. Its acting is atrocious, its characters are grossly underdeveloped and it ran out of plot in only five minutes. I felt like I was watching an improv show, where the audience threw the words “brewing company” and “urine” at the actors, and they ran with it in a sort of desperate abandon. Except, to my horror, this improv skit comprised an entire season, and all of its lines and actions were carefully written and filmed by trained professionals.

Netflix has managed to produce plenty of good shows in recent years, such as “The Politician” and “Living with Yourself.” These shows have complex characters, intense plots, intrigue and humor. They are proof that Netflix has the experience and capability of producing incredible content. “Brews Brothers” was nothing like these shows. 

It was as if a producer had binged every sitcom known to man and taken the most base elements of each, in their crudest forms, expecting them to stick in a comedic, loveable way. “How I Met Your Mother” has a bunch of quirky characters in its cast, so let’s have Wilhelm (Alan Aisenberg), a guy obsessed with German beer culture; Adam (Mike Castle), his disgusting but equally beer-obsessed brother; Sarah (Carmen Flood), a minor blackmailing her way into a job; and Chuy (Marques Ray), a strange, useless employee. “Frasier” has a dog, so let’s have a dog that drinks beer. “Cheers” takes place in a bar, so let’s have a show based in a brew house! Schmidt likes sex in “New Girl,” so let’s have a couple of random sex-crazed characters in a kids food themed food truck have sex every scene.

But here’s the thing: these elements did not combine in a cohesive, comedic or loveable way. They combined in a way where the characters don’t jive, their backstories aren’t realistic and the plot is fully based on producing beer with Adam’s pee in it. And there’s really only so much pee-based humor a grownup human can take before turning off a TV show. 

In a world world where comedy shows are held to higher standards then ever, Netflix’s newest show simply came up short. It’s jokes lacked the depth and humor required to meet the audience’s expectations.  Photo via IMDb.com.

In a world world where comedy shows are held to higher standards then ever, Netflix’s newest show simply came up short. It’s jokes lacked the depth and humor required to meet the audience’s expectations. Photo via IMDb.com.

In just one episode, you could watch flashbacks of Adam peeing on Wilhelm’s bed when they were kids, multiple scenes of the characters taste-testing Adam’s pee-beer and a scene where Wilhelm dumps a bucket of his own pee on top of Adam’s head. But, surprisingly, none of these scenes hit the humorous note they were supposed to.

Not to worry, though, because this show had a comedy fallback plan: masturbation and sex humor! Get ready for beers named only after sexual references, a dog licking a grown man into an orgasm and a couple repeatedly having public, not very sanitary, sex in their food truck. If you have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old boy, you might even laugh one or two times.

But seriously, this sitcom isn’t worth the watch. It won’t make you laugh or smile or remember the names of its characters. Its only real accomplishment is that it can ruin almost anyone’s love of beer.

Rating: 0/5

Related Content:

Love, but not as many laughs, for ‘Love Wedding Repeat’

‘Bernie’ is a darkly funny comedy

Rebecca Maher is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.