Melissa’s Menu: Breakfast pizza

0
3

Easy and delicious, a breakfast pizza is the next thing to add to your list of dishes to try out in the kitchen.  Photo courtesy of delish.com.

Easy and delicious, a breakfast pizza is the next thing to add to your list of dishes to try out in the kitchen. Photo courtesy of delish.com.

Pizza for breakfast? Yes please. This week’s Melissa’s Menu features a breakfast pizza consisting of a hash brown crust, cheesy center and egg topping. It’s an absolutely delicious and versatile recipe. This particular version includes bacon and chives as toppings, but you can really add whatever toppings you are in the mood for — sausage, veggies, more cheese or whatever your heart desires. This simple and unique recipe is the perfect way to switch up your typical breakfast options. 

Ingredients

Cooking spray

1 pound thawed shredded hash browns

6 large eggs, divided

2 cups of shredded cheddar, divided

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

6 slices of bacon

Freshly chopped chives, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together hash browns, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the hash brown mixture to the prepared baking sheet and, using your hands, pat into a circular crust. Bake until golden, for about 20 minutes. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until crispy, for about 8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, then chop. Top the baked crust with remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and crack the remaining 4 eggs on top. Scatter bacon over everything and season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still slightly runny, which should take about 15 minutes (if you prefer a less runny yolk, bake for 18 to 20 minutes). Garnish with chives and slice.

Related Content:

Melissa’s Menu: Crepes

Melissa’s Menu: Restaurant favorites at home

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.