How Broadway can come your way

0
2
exc-5e964c850b4b7110ca155e26

Watch your favorite musicals in the comfort of your own home with BroadwayHD.  Photo courtesy of    boardwayworld.com

Watch your favorite musicals in the comfort of your own home with BroadwayHD. Photo courtesy of boardwayworld.com

Although it’s been a month since Broadway closed its theater doors to the public, that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy their famous plays and musicals. Streaming services like Netflix and BroadwayHD offer hundreds of productions that you can view from the comfort of your home during this quarantine.

BroadwayHD is available online for either a cheap monthly subscription of $8.99 or $99.99 for the whole year. There’s also a seven-day free trial you can nab, if you want to hold a week-long binge of all your favorite plays at no cost to you. Due to the pandemic, BroadwayHD has added a number of famous productions, including “Cats,” “The King and I” and “Oklahoma!” to its already humongous collection. Even if you’re a picky fan of musical theater, BroadwayHD’s 300+ options are sure to have something you’ll love.

Of these, I recommend “Cats,” if only to better understand the recent, atrocious film adaptation. Unfortunately, BroadwayHD doesn’t have some of the newer more popular productions, such as “Wicked” and “Hamilton” due to publishing rights and union contracts

Netflix recently added a number of more recent Broadway shows, though, as well as film adaptations of classic plays. Among these are comedy duo John Mulaney and Nick Kroll’s “Oh, Hello” and “Shrek The Musical.” Both are incredible productions that are well worth the watch, with the soundtrack of “Shrek The Musical” deserving a spot on your Spotify playlist. It is no slave to Smash Mouth, as its movie version had been. Their film adaptations include “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” and “American Son.”

If you’re a big fan of comedy, “Oh, Hello” is a great choice. It’s basically just Nick Kroll and John Mulaney joking around and pretending to be very old men who love tuna. It’s sure to brighten up your day.

Of course, BroadwayHD and Netflix aren’t for everyone, especially considering they still cost a good chunk of money. For those of you who want a Broadway experience for free, Youtube might be the answer. Not only is it chock-full of Broadway soundtracks and clips of plays, but it also has some full-length musicals. “Legally Blonde” the musical, not the movie, has been available on Youtube for the past five years, and it is an absolute favorite of mine. Its soundtrack is vastly underrated and well worth a listen to. Other famous musicals like “Avenue Q,” “Wicked” and “The Book of Mormon,” among others, are also available on Youtube, although as low-quality illegal films, with their original Broadway casts.

Whichever route you choose, just remember that Broadway might be the welcome break from “Tiger King” you’ve been looking for.

Related Content:

‘Chris D’Elia: No Pain’ is painful to watch

Love, but not as many laughs, for ‘Love Wedding Repeat’

Rebecca Maher is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.