Melissa’s Menu: Strawberry tarts

0
2
exc-5e9e35c79f796240d6b56f0f

Flowers are blooming, birds are chirping — it’s spring time! What better way to celebrate spring than by enjoying a delicious dessert? This week’s Melissa’s Menu features a delicious and easy-to-make strawberry tart that is the perfect recipe to welcome the warmer weather. The filling has a cream cheese base, making it sweet but tangy, with a hint of lemon that really complements the strawberries and adds a refreshing element to the dessert. Topped with sliced strawberries in a circular pattern, this recipe looks as pretty as it tastes. 

Ingredients

For the crust:

This week’s Melissa’s Menu celebrates the coming of spring with an easy strawberry tarts recipe.  Photo courtesy of delish.com

This week’s Melissa’s Menu celebrates the coming of spring with an easy strawberry tarts recipe. Photo courtesy of delish.com

1 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour

1/4 cup of granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt

10 tablespoons of melted butter

For the filling:

1/2 cup of heavy cream

2 (8 ounces) blocks of cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup of granulated sugar

Juice and zest of one lemon

1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract

For the topping:

1 1/2 pounds of strawberries, hulled and sliced

3 tablespoons of strawberry preserves

Directions

To make the crust, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add melted butter and stir until a dough forms. Press mixture into a 10- or 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing until the dough is smooth. Prick all over with a fork and bake until golden, for 25 to 30 minutes. Let it cool completely. Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form, which should take about seven minutes. In another large bowl, beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Fold in the whipped heavy cream, then spoon into the cooled crust and smooth top. Starting on the outside, arrange sliced strawberries on top of the tart in a circle until the entire tart is covered. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat together strawberry preserves and two teaspoons of water until warmed, for 30 seconds. Brush over tart and refrigerate until well chilled, which should take about two hours.

Related Content:

Melissa’s Menu: Breakfast pizza

Melissa’s Menu: Crepes

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.