Dining services offers free meals to students remaining on campus

0
1

University of Connecticut students who have chosen to remain on the Storrs campus have been eligible to receive free meals since March 14.

Dennis Pierce, executive director of dining services, stressed the process through which students sign up for these meals. By visiting the dining services’ website, students who are remaining on campus have been able to register for breakfast, lunch and dinner all the way up to May 10.

“There is a link on our website where a student goes and completes,” Pierce said. “To date, we have sent out two notifications to current residents that this option is available to them at no cost.”

Any student who has been approved by the Dean’s Office can register for these meals, even if they were not previously registered for a meal plan. Pierce said the majority of the meals they serve are for students who live in UConn apartments.

“As of April 21, there were 756 students on campus,” Pierce said. “A large portion are in UConn apartments.”

Even with serving of students who typically do not receive food from dining services, the number of meals produced has dropped. As of April 21, dining services has produced 14,123 free meals for students, a number Pierce said pales in comparison to their typical production.

“There’s no comparison, considering during [an average] session, we do 220,000 meals per week,” Pierce said.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Eric Wang / The Daily Campus.

Related Content:

Dining Beat: Students adjust to new dining regulations amid pandemic

UConn Dining Services donates 7,500 pounds of food to Foodshare

Thomas Alvarez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at thomas.alvarez@uconn.edu.