Skincare products to make at home

0
1
exc-5ea22fc97af7995a0807e165

A berry facemask is a great way to brighten and refreshen your skin. Use ingredients right from the fridge to make this mask!  Photo via    styletips101.com

A berry facemask is a great way to brighten and refreshen your skin. Use ingredients right from the fridge to make this mask! Photo via styletips101.com

Making your own skincare products at home is surprisingly simple and fun. It can even help save money and ensure your products are made from healthy, natural ingredients. You will be surprised to see how many amazing skincare ingredients you already have in your house.

Oatmeal and brown sugar face scrub

Face scrubs are great for exfoliating the skin and removing dead skin cells. According to board-certified dermatologist Susan Stuart, oats contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are ideal for sensitive skin, especially those suffering from sunburns, eczema and other skin disorders. 

This recipe calls for equal parts oats, brown sugar, raw honey and jojoba oil. By combining these, you will have yourself a natural and effective face scrub to use at home. Feel free to add one or two drops of essential oils to upgrade your scrub.

Berry face mask 

Applying a face mask is the perfect way to unwind after a long, stressful day. If you are looking to detox your pores and brighten your skin complexion, this is the face mask for you! 

Combine one tablespoon of crushed blueberries, one tablespoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of cucumber juice, two tablespoons of baking soda and two tablespoons of water. Once the ingredients are mixed together, apply the mask onto your face and let sit for about 20 minutes. Gently rinse off the mask with warm water and enjoy the results!

This recipe takes an already beneficial skin care product and takes it to the next level. Just add essential oils and enjoy apply!  Photo by moho01 via    Pixabay.com

This recipe takes an already beneficial skin care product and takes it to the next level. Just add essential oils and enjoy apply! Photo by moho01 via Pixabay.com

Coconut oil moisturizer 

Coconut oil is a widely used skin care product that has a long list of benefits. This recipe is very simple and only calls for two ingredients: cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil and lavender essential oil. By combining these two ingredients, you will be left with a great smelling lotion for all skin types!

First, melt the coconut oil by placing the jar in a bowl of warm water until it turns into a liquid. Next, stir in the essential oil and transfer the mixture into a small storage container. This moisturizer is great for anyone, especially people with dry skin since coconut oil absorbs quickly into the skin. 

Green tea face mask 

Green tea has been widely used in skincare products due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. 

Halle Berry recently posted a picture of herself on Re-Spin’s Instagram page, a digital health and wellness community that she created, wearing a homemade green tea mask. Her signature recipe calls for two tablespoons of brewed green tea, one pinch of turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of lemon juice and one-fourth cup of plain yogurt. 

Lip scrub

During the long winter months, many people suffer from cracked, dry and chapped lips. Lip scrubs help exfoliate and remove dead skin cells to help your lips better absorb lip balm and remain healthy. 

This simple scrub contains one teaspoon of brown sugar, white sugar and honey and half a teaspoon of olive oil. Once mixed together, the sugars work to exfoliate the dry skin and the honey and olive oil are full of vitamins and minerals that work as a natural moisturizer. 

Related Content:

Creative projects to beat quarantine boredom

Online fitness and wellness opportunities for UConn students

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.