Summer classes moved to online, faculty told to plan for online fall semester

0
0

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas sent out an email Friday afternoon with updated information about the upcoming summer sessions and fall semester.  Screenshot of the email.

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas sent out an email Friday afternoon with updated information about the upcoming summer sessions and fall semester. Screenshot of the email.

University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas announced in an email Friday afternoon that summer session classes will be delivered online, and faculty should plan for fall semester courses to be online as well. 

“The decision regarding face-to-face classes for Fall 2020 will be made with the approval of the Board of Trustees and communicated before June 30, 2020,” Katsouleas said. “Factors contributing to that decision will include the progress on slowing COVID-19, guidance from public health experts, decisions and guidance from federal and state government and the availability of testing among others.” 

Katsouleas said faculty should be preparing for online fall courses for planning purposes only, and reiterated that no decision has been made yet regarding the fall semester return. 

Summer session in-person courses were originally moved online for the May term and Summer 1 term, beginning June 1, but have been extended to now also include the Summer 2 term, which begins July 13. 

“Instruction for all summer terms will be delivered online or remotely through distance education,” Katsouleas said. 

Internships and clinical and field placements may still be coordinated to use traditional in-person formalts, according to the email, subject to the policy of UConn and external entities.

Alternate housing will also be available for students, and must apply through Residential Life. 

According to Katsouleas, a committee of deans and administrative unit leaders will be chaired by Lloyd Blanchard to “develop options for adjusting to various fiscal impacts of the crisis.” 

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl.