Parking permit refunds to be issued to students

0
1

UConn students will be receiving parking permit refunds from Parking Services for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

UConn students will be receiving parking permit refunds from Parking Services for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester. File Photo/The Daily Campus

University of Connecticut Parking Services announced Monday that students will be receiving parking permit refunds for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester, following the campus closure on March 16. 

“The prorated refund of student-permit parking fees for the seven weeks that followed the University’s closure (March 16) is authorized,” the parking services website said.

The website noted that credit and debit card refunds are expected to be fully processed and distributed to students by May 15. 

“The prorated parking fee refunds (including tax) will be applied to the credit or debit card used during their purchase, whenever possible.  The credit and debit card refunds must be processed in batches due to financial regulations,” the website said. “All credit and debit card refunds are, however, expected to be processed by Friday, May 15.”  

Dwight Atherton, associate director of parking and transportation services, explained that Global Payments, the third party company that provides processing services for credit and debit card financial authorization, limits the number of refunds per each batch it processes. Therefore parking services believes it will take a few weeks to finalize all refunds to students. 

“About 90% of all student parking permit purchases are secured using either credit or debit cards,” Atherton said. “Global Transport limits each batch of returns to 1,400 records. Parking and Transportation Services will ultimately process more than 8,700 credit card refunds to students. We currently expect that it will take Global Payments about a week to prepare each batch of refunds.” 

The website said that for all other prorated refunds, University checks will be issued. 

“Checks will be mailed to students’ home addresses,” the website said. “These reimbursement checks may take up to six weeks to process.”  

This announcement comes weeks after the University previously announced the partial refund of housing and dining services for students, due to the closure of campus for the remainder of the semester. 

>
We knew that in this period of overwhelming uncertainty, it was essential for us to provide students with definitive information. Our department, therefore, decided to announce the student permit refunds only when complete information about how those prorated fees would be returned could be shared.
— Dwight Atherton, Associate director of parking and transportation services

Atherton explained that the decision to refund students for parking permits was made around the same time as the decision to refund dining and housing services. The parking refund announcement was delayed until parking services had more definitive information on how the refunds would be distributed. 

“The refund of employee parking fees was straightforward.  As a result, employee permit refunds could be announced right away,” Atherton said. “We knew that in this period of overwhelming uncertainty, it was essential for us to provide students with definitive information. Our department, therefore, decided to announce the student permit refunds only when complete information about how those prorated fees would be returned could be shared.” 

Atherton noted several factors that delayed the announcement, including changes in the state’s tax code, systems used to process permit sales transactions throughout the year, the need to collect data from several financial systems and the calculation of prorated tax consequences per each permit based on when it was sold. 

If students have further questions regarding parking permit refunds, Atherton said to direct those questions to parkingservices@uconn.edu.

Related Content:

UConn alumnus creates ‘rapid response’ clearinghouse for medical supplies

PETA calls on UConn to shut down animal labs

Amanda Kilyk is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at amanda.kilyk@uconn.edu.