Here’s what’s coming to Netflix in May

0
0
exc-5eaa024546dc317f012053a4

Netflix has new seasons of highly-rated series among other hot releases.  Photo via    Pexels

Netflix has new seasons of highly-rated series among other hot releases. Photo via Pexels

If you are in need of a new show to binge watch, Netflix has a strong lineup of new releases set to premiere in May. This month’s releases are full of variety and include a lot of new shows in addition to new seasons of highly-rated series that are already on Netflix. 

Here are a few of the much anticipated releases that will soon be available to viewers.

“Dead to Me” Season 2

After season one left fans on the edge of their seats, this highly rated Netflix original is set to release its second season on May 8. Christina Appelgate and Linda Cardellini star in this thrilling, twisted and dark comedy. Appelgate plays a grieving widow who lost her husband in a hit-and-run accident and befriends Cardellini, a seemingly innocent character, who is hiding a dark secret that threatens her relationship with Appelgate. As the series unfolds, there are many twists and turns that will leave you questioning who these characters truly are. 

“Becoming”

“Becoming” is a documentary based on former First Lady Michelle Obama’s memoir that was published in 2018 and quickly became a bestseller. This deeply personal documentary will offer viewers a look into her childhood, her role as a mother and her time in the White House. She gives viewers an up-close look at her life and her transition back to “normal” after leaving the White House. This is a must-see and will be coming to Netflix on May 6. 

“Space Force”

This workplace comedy series starring Steve Carell is a Netflix original produced by Greg Daniels, the co-creator of “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation.” This show will appeal to fans of those two shows and has a cast of characters that is sure to impress. Other noteworthy cast members include Ben Schwartz, Lisa Kudrow and Diana Silvers. The series is based on Space Force, the newly formed sixth branch of the United States Armed Forces, which Carell is chosen to lead. “Space Force” is set to premiere on May 29. 

“Hollywood”

This show is set in post-World War II Hollywood and follows a group of aspiring actors and filmmakers trying to navigate the difficult dynamics of the industry. This drama sheds light on the biases that were held based on race, gender and sexuality in what is considered the Golden Age of Hollywood. David Corsenwet and Darren Criss star in this miniseries that is set to premiere on May 1. 

“Dynasty”

“Dynasty” is a series based on a prime time soap opera of the same name that was popular in the 1980s. This season will feature a few new characters and many new plot lines that are sure to stir up some drama. Season three is set to premier on May 23 and fans can expect over-the-top drama that is reminiscent of the original soap opera. 

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend”

This interactive special featuring the core cast members of the well-liked series “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” is set to premier on May 12. Kimmy Schmidt is preparing to marry her new fiance, but first is up against a moral dilemma involving her kidnapper, the Reverend, who has likely kidnapped another group of girls. This 80 minute-long special will give viewers the chance to decide how the story unfolds and choose if Kimmy should get married or try and save the girls. 

Related Content:

Love, but not as many laughs, for ‘Love Wedding Repeat’

Spring Streaming: New to Netflix for April

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.