UConn students to receive grants from CARES Act

0
0
exc-5eaa0a7e4f46fa106b30f783

Students of all levels at the University of Connecticut will be eligible to receive emergency grants from the Coronavirus Assistance, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act funds UConn will be receiving. 

Grants ranging from $500 to $1,000 will be given to students who have filled out the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) and display the most need, Nathan Fuerst, vice president for enrollment planning and management, said in Wednesday’s board of trustees meeting. He predicted about 12,500 students will receive emergency grants. 

>
UConn will receive $21 million from the CARES Act, according to UConn Today, and $10.7 million will be designated for emergency grants for students. 

The remaining funds UConn will receive from the CARES Act will be used to cover unexpected expenses due to COVID-19, including the prorated refunds for room, board, dining and other fees.

Students who are recipients of CARES Act emergency grants will be notified by the Office of Student Financial Aid Services in the coming week, according to an email sent on behalf of Fuerst and Scott Jordan, executive vice president for administration and chief financial officer. 

Thumbnail photo courtesy of Andrew Harnik/AP

Related Content:

Showing blue for UConn Health

UConn student gives back during COVID-19 crisis

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl