Is the ‘True Jackson VP’ rumor true?

0
2
exc-5eab6437853676502483941d

True Jackson VP aired on Nickelodeon from 2008-2011. After a return to popularity thanks to one of the latest TikTok trends, the possibility of a reboot is now greater than ever.  Photo courtesy of IMDb.com

True Jackson VP aired on Nickelodeon from 2008-2011. After a return to popularity thanks to one of the latest TikTok trends, the possibility of a reboot is now greater than ever. Photo courtesy of IMDb.com

For the first time since 2011, “True Jackson VP” is an active part of mainstream pop culture. After the theme song had a popular stint as a TikTok trend this month, True herself (Keke Palmer) made a TikTok hinting at an upcoming reboot. And while this reboot remains a rumor, the show’s sudden return to people’s minds may make it a reality.

For those who aren’t living their lives through TikTok right now, the trend was pretty simple. A person would dance with the purple flame filter to the theme song, while the words “my [blank] leaving my body after [blank] said [blank].” Basically, it was a play on how people’s advice isn’t usually helpful, especially regarding mental health. Palmer’s rendition maintained most of the trend, but with the words, “When they cancelled True Jackson VP prematurely just to reboot it in 2021.” Being that the message of the trend had been largely sarcastic, Palmer’s words shouldn’t be taken literally. 

That being said, Robbie Amell — a.k.a True’s love interest Jimmy — was interviewed by “Entertainment Tonight” this week. Amell said after Palmer’s TikTok grew popular, many of the show’s stars began texting back and forth saying they would love to do a reboot. He even envisioned what his character would be like now, a decade older and out of high school. 

Although Amell stated that he had no previous knowledge of the reboot and he doesn’t know of one in the works, it wouldn’t be the first live-action reboot produced in recent years. “That’s So Raven” and “Boy Meets World” both had successful reboots in “Raven’s Home” and “Girl Meets World.” And although neither are as incredible as their predecessors, the reboots were both good shows in their own rights and beloved by fans of the originals. It’s just nice seeing the where-are-they-now of the iconic characters of our childhoods.

Since the plot of “True Jackson VP” was about a 15-year-old girl acting as a vice president of a fashion company, it would be interesting to see how far she’s come with such an early start in the industry. Obviously, much of the show’s appeal was that a girl the same age as most viewers had entered an adult job. It showed kids that anything is possible and that the grown-up world could use a child’s creativity. So while it wouldn’t have that same effect on kids today with an adult woman working an adult job, it would be nice for the old viewers to see how True grew up alongside them. At the very least, it would thrive on nostalgia.

So, if you would like to see “True Jackson VP” the reboot become a reality, keep the TikTok trend alive, rewatch the old show and do everything you can to prevent this beautiful series from being forgotten once again.

Related Content:

‘Normal People’ is anything but a normal show

Here’s what’s coming to Netflix in May

Rebecca Maher is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.