Study tips for online final exams

0
3
exc-5eab684833207d456dbe943d

It is important for when you start studuing that you have a plan laid out. Not doing so will make things overwhelming and hard to achieve.  Photo by Oladimeji Ajegbile from     Pexels     .

It is important for when you start studuing that you have a plan laid out. Not doing so will make things overwhelming and hard to achieve. Photo by Oladimeji Ajegbile from Pexels.

The dreaded final exam season is upon us. On top of the normal levels of stress that plague college students during this time, there is now an added burden of having to take exams online. Although you might feel overwhelmed, if you plan out your study sessions, stay focused and be confident you are going to be prepared. 

Here are a few study tips to help you ace your online final exams.

Create a study plan

Everyone has a different method of studying that works best for them. Based on whatever method works for you, write or type a detailed study plan that organizes the material for each of your classes. Although it may seem like an overwhelming amount of work at first, once you begin checking tasks off of your list, you will feel accomplished and motivated to continue. This will ensure that you are thoroughly prepared once test day comes around. 

Find a quiet study spot

Although many people are quarantined with family members or roommates and quiet study spots might be limited, try to find a place free of as many distractions as possible. Having a designated study spot will help you be able to focus on the material better and get more out of your study sessions. It is also important to have your phone and any other distractions in a different room or far enough away so that you aren’t tempted to check it frequently. 

Take study breaks 

Many people try to cram the night before an exam and end up feeling overwhelmed and underprepared. This can cause negative effects on your mental and physical health. Instead of forcing yourself to study for hours on end, start preparing a week or so in advance and block out shorter study times throughout the day. Taking study breaks will allow you to focus and be able to absorb the information better.

Even if it cannot be in person it can be helpful to work with classmated to study. Combining the things you know will make sure you both go into the exam feeling prepared.  Photo by bongkarn thanyakij from     Pexels     .

Even if it cannot be in person it can be helpful to work with classmated to study. Combining the things you know will make sure you both go into the exam feeling prepared. Photo by bongkarn thanyakij from Pexels.

Study with classmates 

Study groups have proven to be an effective strategy to hear other points of view and prevent procrastination. By having a responsibility to come to the group prepared, students tend to be more motivated to study in advance. Creating a study group is also a great way to gain a better understanding of the class material and consult others with any questions or concerns you may have. Whether you FaceTime a classmate or organize a Zoom call with a few members of your class, there are many ways to stay connected while being quarantined. 

Prioritize your mental and physical health 

Final exam week is very stressful and can cause students to experience anxiety and sleep deprivation among other things that negatively affect a person’s mental and physical health. Although grades are very important, you must also remember to put aside time in your day to relax and take a break from studying. Exercising, eating healthy and journaling are a few of the many ways that you can take care of yourself mentally and physically during finals week.

Thumbnail Photo by energepic.com from Pexels.

Related Content:

A look into Kids That Fly’s newest EP ‘Between The Lines’

The Undertow: Epilogue

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.