How to celebrate graduation virtually

0
0
exc-5eb5c896b3d9275aafe6aa9e

Colleges around the nation have postponed or canceled in-person graduation ceremonies. However, there are many ways to honor the 2020 graduates.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

Colleges around the nation have postponed or canceled in-person graduation ceremonies. However, there are many ways to honor the 2020 graduates. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Many colleges have postponed or canceled in-person graduation ceremonies and have announced plans to hold a virtual ceremony to celebrate graduating seniors. The University of Connecticut announced they will be taking part in this trend and will be posting a virtual ceremony on the Commencement 2020 website on May 9 for graduates and their families to view at their leisure. 

In addition to watching graduation online, there are many other ways to honor graduates so their amazing accomplishments do not get overlooked in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Organize a car parade 

Car parades have quickly become a popular way of celebrating important milestones during quarantine while also maintaining proper social distancing protocol. By planning ahead, people will have the opportunity to create fun signs or even decorate their car. This is a great way to give family and friends the opportunity to drive by and offer their congratulations. 

Host a virtual graduation party 

Another way to celebrate graduation is to gather your graduates’ family members and closest friends and host a virtual graduation party on Zoom! This is a great way to celebrate and surround the graduate with the people who have helped them the most during their college journey. Once quarantine has ended, you can then host a proper graduation party, but in the meantime, there are many ways to stay in touch online. You can even send an online invitation to make the gathering seem more genuine. 

Post graduation pictures online 

Although there is not going to be an opportunity to take pictures at the actual ceremony, that shouldn’t stop graduates from putting on their cap and gown and taking pictures. Posting these pictures on social media is a great way to share the special moment with loved ones who are no longer able to see you get dressed up in person. 

Make a memory slideshow

Many people are fortunate to find a great group of friends in college and have the opportunity to create many fond memories with them over the years. A fun way to reminisce about these times is to create a slideshow filled with photos, videos and songs that sum up their college careers. Although many graduates will be frustrated with the abrupt end to their undergraduate career, a video like this can help them to remember to feel thankful for all of the great times they had prior to the pandemic.  

The coronavirus pandemic has had unprecedented effects on society, and unfortunately, college seniors have felt these effects more than most. Although graduating seniors are not going to get the traditional graduation ceremony they had hoped for, there are still many ways to virtually celebrate their amazing accomplishments achieved during their undergraduate careers. 

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.