Husky Highlights: A farewell to the graduating class’ favorite UConn traditions and places

0
2
exc-5eb5ec1eb27e4014ed9e02f1

As the school year comes to an end, we asked seniors what they’ll miss about being a Husky, and here’s what some of them said.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

As the school year comes to an end, we asked seniors what they’ll miss about being a Husky, and here’s what some of them said. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Seniors normally plan their final goodbyes for the last weeks of the semester, making sure to take in their last women’s basketball game or savor their last scoop of Dairy Bar ice cream as an undergraduate. The end is definitely bittersweet, especially for this year’s graduating class, who didn’t necessarily get a proper goodbye. Even if the class of 2020 won’t be able to partake in a conventional Senior Send-off or reminisce on the Student Union lawn one last time, hopefully they’ll be able to return to campus soon enough to say their farewells. We asked seniors what they’ll miss about being a Husky, and here’s what some of them said.

UConn’s Oozeball Tournament.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

UConn’s Oozeball Tournament. File Photo/The Daily Campus

“I’ll miss everything, but HuskyTHON 2020 has to be #1,” Marisa Nazzaro, an eighth-semester elementary education major, said. She served as Vice President of Communications for HuskyTHON this past year. 

As the weather warms up, some seniors miss enjoying the springtime with their friends. Reilee Barron said she will miss “sunny days on the [Student] Union lawn,” while Alena Bianchi said, “Getting coffee with friends and hanging out on the quad.”

Sunset on Horsebarn Hill.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

Sunset on Horsebarn Hill. File Photo/The Daily Campus

Spring Weekend, usually jam-packed with fun traditions and events, was a favorite that many seniors mentioned. On our Facebook post, Kylee Dostie commented “Oozeball and going up the Summit,” referencing one of UConn Alumni’s largest on-campus events.

“Standing in insanely long lines for food trucks during Spring Weekend and walking up to Horsebarn Hill to visit the cows and eat Dairy Bar ice cream after a stressful day,” Brittany Smith commented on Facebook about what she would miss.

Horsebarn Hill and the Dairy Bar also appeared in some seniors’ favorite things about UConn. Karina Zhao “Sunsets on Horsebarn Hill and studying on the green” as what she will miss. Amanda Ahmad commented “Buying ice cream and studying in Starbucks and hanging out with friends around campus”.

Of course, basketball games are a UConn classic that won’t be forgotten.

Students relaxing in the SU quad.  File Photo/The Daily Campus

Students relaxing in the SU quad. File Photo/The Daily Campus

“The friendly and spirited atmosphere of campus!” Annie Clark commented on Facebook. “Basketball games in Gampel, warm days on the SU quad.”

And no matter how much people would complain about dining hall food, there are some standouts that seniors will no longer be able to enjoy as students. Nina Farnum said she will miss “Towers stir-fry bar on Tuesdays!”

The everyday moments on campus are perhaps the best, and the graduating seniors remind us to enjoy them while we can, because they’re what make up our experiences as Huskies.

“[I’ll miss] taking walks around our beautiful campus with friends or alone while forgetting about responsibilities,” Grace Kane said on Facebook.

They may be saying farewell to their time as students, but the class of 2020 will always be Huskies. 

Hollianne Lao is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.