UConn student dies in accidental drowning

0
10

A University of Connecticut student died while swimming in the Farmington River Sunday afternoon, according to the Republican American.

Photo courtesy of Andry Evangelista’s family

Andry Evangelista was a rising junior at UConn studying to become a physical therapist. Evangelista was from Waterbury, and his family described him as always wanting to help others.

“Since Andry was little, he was a very shy person, but as the years progressed he blossomed into a very intelligent social young man,” Cristina Alcantara, Evangelista’s mother, told the Republican American. “Andry was a very dedicated person in that he finished everything he started.”

At UConn, Evangelista was involved with the Public Health House, the Learning Community Council, the Learning Community Executive Council and the Club Track and Field team, according to a UConn Daily Digest post. He was scheduled to participate in a service-learning trip to Philadelphia this past March.

“He represented the best of UConn and his loss will be difficult to process,” Michael Gilbert, vice president of student affairs, and Eleanor Daugherty, associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students said.

Police said the drowning appears to be accidental.

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl.