Moving out of the dorms

0
2
exc-5ef2246684087c0210306fad

UConn Residential Life (ResLife) released a statement in late May about plans for students to move out of residential buildings and retrieve their belongings during the first few weeks of June. 

“The move-out process was easy and there weren’t that many people moving out at the same time which I liked because it was easy to just use the elevator and get all my things to the car in a reasonable amount of time,” Jadah Smith, a rising sophomore who lived at the Global House learning community, said. 

Students were told via email to log into MyHousing and select a time between the first two weeks of June to move their remaining belongings out. There is also an option for ResLife to arrange a way to help those who cannot come to campus to collect their things. When students finished moving out, there were areas at each residential building to drop off keys and a virtual express room checkout on MyHousing.

File photo/The Daily Campus

File photo/The Daily Campus

The email that was sent out also stated several rules that families were required to abide by when moving out. Students were only allowed to bring one extra helper to help and they had to wear face masks while maintaining social distancing rules. 

Despite these rules, one student said the restrictions guidelines weren’t really enforced. 

“I thought it was pretty easy overall but they were definitely all talk with the rules because they didn’t really enforce anything,” Taylor Squillaro, a rising sophomore that also resided in Global House, said. 

“I could’ve brought my whole family and no one would’ve checked me for it,” Smith said.

However, Squillaro did explain that no one was present during her move out so it wasn’t really an issue. 

Alice Li, a rising junior that resided at South residence halls, said she had conflicting move-out schedules with her roommate. 

“I didn’t go personally, my parents did, but apparently my roommate was there at the same time as they were,” Li said. “For me, it’s not a big deal because we have our own rooms but for others who don’t have that luxury, it’s a risk. So in that sense they should’ve organized better to make sure roommates weren’t in at the same time.”

Despite lack of enforcement for rules, the overall consensus from several students was that ResLife developed a plan that allowed for a safe and quick move out. 

Amy Chen is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at amy.3.chen@uconn.edu.