Out-of-state students denied housing, 800 affected 

0
134
11/6/16 South Campus by Amar Batra South campus residence halls consists of three buildings and the Nathan Hill Inn. It consists of housing for mostly sophomores, juniors and seniors

Out-of-state students at the University of Connecticut enrolled in only online classes were notified via email Tuesday morning that they will not be allowed to reside on campus for the fall 2020 semester. 

The email was sent three days before move-in weekend. 

“We never want to tell students they cannot live on campus, especially after they were expecting to,” Residential Life said in a statement. “But the pandemic and daily challenges related to efforts to minimize spread gave the University no other viable options.” 

According to University Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz, the decision affects about 800 out-of-state students. 

“This decision does not apply to students who have any in-person elements to their coursework and program, including hybrids, working in research labs, training with teams, etc.,” UConn President Thomas Katsouleas said in an email to all students. “It also does not apply to international students…or students already residing on campus.” 

Housing and dining fees already paid will be refunded and will not be charged for cancellation, according to the email. There will also be an opportunity for students to appeal the decision based on their circumstances. 

Ashley Anglisano is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu. She tweets @ashleyangl.