Champions League Final Prediction: Bayern Munich vs. PSG

0
3
exc-5f42b7d6ef576864da0a8dbb

Trophy for the winners of the Champions League final soccer match between Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich is placed on the pitch at the Luz stadium in Lisbon, Portugal, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2020.  Photo by Miguel A. Lopes/Pool via AP

Trophy for the winners of the Champions League final soccer match between Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich is placed on the pitch at the Luz stadium in Lisbon, Portugal, Sunday, Aug. 23, 2020. Photo by Miguel A. Lopes/Pool via AP

On Sunday, arguably the wildest season of European soccer will come to end as two offensive juggernauts battle in Lisbon for the Champions League trophy. Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) look to win their first Champions League title while Bayern Munich look to win the title for the sixth time.

Both teams are star studded and have had great success in their respective leagues. Before the cancelation of Ligue 1, PSG were 12 points clear from second place Mariseille. PSG were then crowned champions of Ligue 1 for the third year in a row.

Their attack is one of the best in the world. With Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Angel Di Maria leading the charge with Mauro Icardi on the bench. Di Maria has been an impact player since play has restarted. In PSG’s semifinal game against RB Leipzig the Argentinian scored one and assisted two, on the way to 3-0 win and was awarded player of the match. Neymar’s creativity also played a key role in the win. The Brazilian is looking to end his drought of not winning any major trophies in his career.

Mbappe has struggled to regain his form since returning from injury. The World Cup-winning striker was shut out against Leipzig and hasn’t scored since his return to play. Mbappe’s contribution to PSG all season shouldn’t go unnoticed, as the striker has 29 goals and 19 assists in all competitions for the club.

The question isn’t if PSG has the attacking fire power to break through Bayern’s defense, it’s can PSG’s defense withstand Bayern Munich’s potent offense. With the Brazilian pair of Marquinhos and Thiago Silva, they hope to shut out Bayern’s leading goal scorer Robert Lewandowski while containing every other option on the pitch.

Bayern Munich is arguably the best team in Europe. The German giants won the Bundesliga for the eighth straight year as well as winning the DFB Pokal for the 20th time in club history. Bayern has the perfect mixture of experience and youth in their squad.

Experienced players such as Robert Lewandowski, Thomas Muller and others continue to show their worth and why they are considered some of the best in the world. Their young talents in Serge Gnabry and Alphonso Davies continue to impress on the pitch for the club. Their squad runs deep with options of Kingsley Coman and loan star Philippe Coutinho.

Bayern has steamrolled through the competition since their return to Champions League play. They crushed Chelsea in the round of sixteen 7-1 on aggregate and absolutely demolished Barcelona in the quarterfinals with a final score of 8-2.

In their semifinal game versus French team Lyon, they picked up where they left off, winning easily 3-0. Young star Gnabry tallied two goals, while veteran goal scorer Lewandowski scored once adding to his tally of 15 Champions League goals.

Both teams have proven to the world that they deserve to be playing in this final. Both league winners and have been in great form since the restart. On paper each club looks world class, but play on the field will show if they deserve that stature.

As much as we would like to see an evenly matched game, I think the contest will be very much one sided. I believe that Bayern’s offense will be too much for the PSG defense in the end. The likes of Lewandowski, Muller and Gnabry will expose the flaws that the PSG back line has and score four goals. I do however believe that PSG will break through Bayern’s defense as well and score twice. With a final score of 4-2, I believe that Bayern Munich will win and be crowned champions of Europe for the seventh time.

The match will be shown on CBS and CBS Sports and airs at 3 p.m. Eastern Time.

Ty Reeves is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ty.reeves@uconn.edu.