Zoom Call Fashion Tips

0
181
cheerful surprised woman sitting with laptop
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels.com

Whether you have online classes, are working remotely or simply want to catch up with friends, video conferencing platforms like Zoom have allowed people to stay connected during the pandemic while abiding by social distancing guidelines. With this comes the ultimate dilemma: What to wear?  

Your outfit will vary depending on the nature of the Zoom call. However, it is always a good idea to present yourself in a sophisticated and professional manner. Here are a few fashion tips on how to properly dress for various types of Zoom calls.  

Your outfit will vary depending on the nature of the Zoom call. However, it is always a good idea to present yourself in a sophisticated and professional manner

Online class 

Although many people opt to show up to in-person classes wearing sweatpants, leggings and T-shirts, the shorter commute of online classes could mean extra time to get ready in the morning. While it might be tempting to use this rare free time to sleep in, consider utilizing it to make yourself look comfortable but also presentable.  

Given the circumstances, you may never have the opportunity to meet with your professors in person, so by presenting yourself in a professional manner you will be able to make a good first impression on Zoom. Most professors — especially in smaller classes — will also want you to have your camera on, so make sure to present yourself accordingly and remove any distractions from the background.  

Work meeting 

Prior to the pandemic, working remotely had begun becoming more commonplace, and now many people are realizing it is a very efficient way to conduct business. If you hold an on-campus job or have an internship, there is a high possibility you are now going to be working remotely. 

This means you will likely be involved in many meetings via Zoom or Webex. With that being said, you must ensure you remain professional, just as you would at an in-person meeting. 

If your boss has not yet specified a dress code, smart casual is a great one to follow. Business Insider classifies smart casual as a step down from business casual, which means you should aim for neat and appropriate pieces that are comfortable. This can include wearing a nice shirt or blouse and jeans.  

Interview  

The outfit you choose to wear for a Zoom interview is dependent upon the company you are interviewing with. For example, someone interviewing for a finance job might have to dress in a much more formal outfit than someone who is interviewing for a technology or public relations job.  

Regardless of the job, wear an outfit that you would feel is appropriate to wear to an in-person interview. A good tip to keep in mind is to conduct thorough background research on the company in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of their culture and dress code. 

Whether you are in an informal or formal setting on Zoom, the most important fashion tip to keep in mind is to be yourself. Essence posted an article on how to spice up your next Zoom look and they recommend expressing yourself in a way that makes you feel confident while maintaining a professional look. Whether that means wearing stand out accessories, a bold lip or just keeping it nice and simple, many people express themselves through clothing and this is a great way to allow for meaningful connections to take place on a virtual platform.