Free graphic design help for faculty and staff

0
494
The University of Connecticut’s University Design Services offers free graphic design assistance for official university business. Photo by Georgie Cobbs on Unsplash.

The University of Connecticut’s University Design Services offers free graphic design assistance for faculty and staff for official university business, Tracy Anderson, director of strategic marketing, said.  

Anderson said that this subset of University Communications helps faculty and staff properly represent UConn with their marketing materials, including brochures, flyers and web graphics.  

Julie Bartucca, marketing project manager, said that faculty and staff can submit their design requests through an online form. Then, University Design Services works to create a product that is both brand-compliant and creative.  

“University Communications strives to tell UConn’s story to a variety of audiences, elevating the brand and ensuring our institution’s excellence is reflected in all of our materials, from web to print,” Bartucca said. “Enabling community members to promote their programs in a compelling way that is consistent with the overall UConn brand fits right into that mission.”  

Although similar services were offered by the Document Production Center, University Design Services was established in 2018, Anderson said. In the past year, they have completed 271 projects.  

Anderson said that, at minimum, it can take five business days for most projects. First, faculty and staff can initiate a request with University Design Services by filling out an intake form located on the university communications website.  This is where they will write all the project details. 

Afterwards, the team of graphic designers work on the design and send it to be approved by the requestor, Anderson said. Once the client approves, the designers send the final digital file.  

“Our experienced team of graphic designers will develop a design and work with the requestor to ensure that it meets their needs,” Anderson said.  

This flyer for the University Archives and Special Collections promoting punk rock photography is an example of one of the graphic design projects. Photo courtesy of Kathleen Cosma.

Bartucca said that faculty and staff should reach out for graphic assistance because it will help them get the best professional-quality product possible.  

“Our designers are experts in their craft and knowledgeable not only about brand standards, but also best practices in design,” Bartucca said.  “Often, people know what message they want to get out and what their desired outcome is, but not necessarily the best way to convey that message to make that outcome happen. We help bridge that gap. We also ensure everything fits in brand and looks like a professionally created piece that represents the university in the best way it can.”  

Bartucca said that the department gets a wide variety of of projects since their “requestors come from every corner of the university, from academic departments to smaller, niche programs.” One of her favorites was a flyer for the University Archives and Special Collections promoting punk rock photography.  

“We want to be sure everything down to an event flyer is putting our best foot forward to our audiences,” Bartucca said.