UEFA Nations League Prediction: Spain vs. Germany

0
230

Two of the world’s most known international teams are set to go at each other as Spain and Germany meet in the Nations League. Both squads have already qualified for the 2021 Euro’s and are in Group F — referred to by fans as, “The Group of Death” — with reigning World Cup winners France. The two teams hope to use this game as a trial to learn each other’s play style as they both hope to make a run in the European tournament.

Both teams are coming off disappointing performances in the 2018 World Cup. Germany wasn’t able to make it out of the group stages while Spain lost 5-4 on penalties to host country Russia in the Round of 16. Both squads will feature a mixture of young talent as well as some familiar faces as they square off in the group stages.

Spain looks to use their experience against the young German squad as former World Cup winner and captain Sergio Ramos leads his team into battle. The team will most likely see the familiar faces of Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal and Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets. The squad is rounded out by young stars such as Real Madrid winger Marco Asensio, Barcelona winger Ansu Fati and Wolves winger Adama Traore. And let’s not forget midfielder Thiago Alcantara, who just recently won the Champions League with Bayern Munich. The man in charge of this team is Luis Enrique, who took over in 2019. The former Barcelona manager will hope to bring Spain back to their winning ways.

Germany will be playing with a much younger side than Spain and are missing some crucial players in their squad. Unlike Thiago, Serge Gnabry, Joshua Kimmich and Maneul Neuer have been left out of the squad after winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich. Germany will rely on veteran midfielders Toni Kroos from Real Madrid and Manchester City’s İlkay Gündoğan to control the game. Germany will need Bayern winger Leroy Sané and up-and-coming midfielder Kai Havertz to handle the offensive creativity for the side. Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno will look to start in between the post for the German side after missing the end of Arsenal’s season with a knee injury. Joachim Löw is in his 16th season as manager and will hope to have more success in the Nations League than what he had in the World Cup.

Overall, it should be an interesting contest. Two powerhouse international teams. Two World Cup Winners. Two sides loaded with talent. Who will win? On paper there’s not much that can separate them, but that doesn’t mean anything once they step on the field.

In my opinion Germany will defeat Spain 2-0. Not because they’re a better side or they have more talent but rather because they have the better goalkeepers. Arguably, before his injury, Leno was the best goalie in the Premier League. For Spain, David De Gea had a subpar season for Manchester United and hasn’t been in the best form since the 2018 World Cup. Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga lost his place in the squad after a streak of bad performances, so the goalkeeper situation for Spain is questionable at best and that’s what I believe sets the two sides apart.

The game will be available at 2:45 p.m. Eastern Time on CBS Sports.

Thumbnail photo courtesy of @DFB_Team_EN on Twitter 09/02/2020 3:22pm.