In Case You Missed It: Week of August 30

0
619

President Donald Trump visited Kenosha, Wisconsin on Tuesday, despite the state’s governor Tony Evers asking him to reconsider his trip. “[The people of Kenosha] are exhausted and heartbroken with the division that has ripped apart their community,” Evers wrote to the president in a letter on Sunday. “I am concerned your presence will only hinder our healing. I am concerned your presence will only delay our work to overcome division and move forward together.”  

Photo Courtesy of Chernéy Amhara (@CherneyAmharaTV)

President Trump toured the city on Tuesday to “survey the damage” done in more than a week of protests after the Aug. 23 police shooting of Jacob Blake and the Aug. 25 shooting of two protesters. Trump decided not to talk to the family of Jacob Blake because, according to a USA Today article, the family wanted to have lawyers present. “They did have a lawyer that wanted to be on the phone, and I said, ‘No that’s inappropriate,’ but I just gave my best regards,” Trump said

The president met with local officials and pledged $5 million in federal aid to the city of Kenosha for law enforcement and to rebuild the city’s small businesses, and $42 million to the state of Wisconsin for public safety, according to CBS 58 Milwaukee

Presidential candidate and former vice president Joe Biden visited Kenosha on Thursday with his running mate, California Sen. Kamala Harris, with plans to meet the father of Jacob Blake. 

Local NAACP President Anthony Davis expressed similar concerns to Gov. Evers over Biden coming to Kenosha. “Kenosha would welcome [President Trump and Joe Biden] any other time,” Davis told NBC News, “but things here are fragile, and we, in this community really need to put our energy into healing ourselves, sitting down and speaking in detail only the way that locals can.” 

Facebook CEO makes changes before Election Day 

FILE – This March 29, 2018 file photo, shows the logo for social media giant Facebook at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York’s Times Square. With just two months left until the U.S. presidential election, Facebook says it is taking additional steps to encourage voting, minimize misinformation and reduce the likelihood of post-election “civil unrest.” The company said Thursday, Sept. 3, 2020, it will restrict new political ads in the week before the election and remove posts that convey misinformation about COVID-19 and voting. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

Facebook announced on Thursday, two months before the presidential election, that it will not accept new political advertisements on the site within a week of Election Day, and is removing misinformative posts about COVID-19 and voting. “This election is not going to be business as usual,” Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg said in a post on Thursday. “We all have a responsibility to protect our democracy. That means helping people register and vote, clearing up confusion about how this election will work and taking steps to reduce the chances of violence and unrest.” 

New York mayor delays school year for teachers 

On Tuesday, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio delayed the start of the city’s school year until Sept. 16, with in-person teaching to start later on Septe. 21. De Blasio’s decision was made jointly with teachers’ union officials. 

“Teachers who usually get two days of professional development at the beginning of the school year will now get nine,” Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza told ABC 7 New York. “We’ve heard from everyone in our schools that have said we need some more time … This will strengthen and improve and make it so we have the safest start to the school year.” 

Stock market has worst day since June 

On Thursday, the S&P 500 fell 3.5% and the DOW Jones Industrial fell 2.8% after a streak of record-high trading days for tech corporations like Tesla, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft and Apple. 

Financial analysts say that a chance for the stock market to “pause and catch its breath” is “normal and healthy.” 

Greg McBride, Chief Financial Analyst at Bankrate.com, told NPR that “this market has been due for a pullback. Actually overdue.” 

Markey Senator Beats Kennedy 

Sen. Edward Markey. D-Mass., celebrates with wife Susan, left, in Malden, Mass., after defeating Rep. Joe Kennedy III, Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020, in the Massachusetts Democratic Senate primary. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

On Wednesday, incumbent Massachusetts Senator, and co-author of the Green New Deal, beat congressman Joe Kennedy III in the democratic primary by more than 10 points, according to the New York Times

According to an article by U.S. News, Congressman Kennedy’s loss to Sen. Markey, who has served in congress since before Kennedy was born in 1980, is his first loss in Massachusetts.