Tour Championship Preview

0
131
Jon Rahm, ranked second behind Dustin Johnson in FedEx Cup points, putts on the 11th green during his practice round for the season-ending Tour Championship at East Lake Golf Club on Wednesday, Sept. 2, 2020, in Atlanta. (Curtis Compton/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)

The final round of the FedEx Cup Playoffs is set to conclude this weekend at the famed East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta. The top 30 players remaining will be competing for the $15 million prize and the FedEx Cup trophy–something that these golfers have been striving for in various tournaments all year. 

Unlike other PGA Tour events, this tournament is only three days long, and the top four golfers will get a significant head start on the rest of the field. The top four finishers in the FedEx Cup points race–Dustin Johnson, John Rahm, Justin Thomas and Colin Morikawa–will start at -10, -8, -7, and -5, respectively. This will make it more likely for the players who have been consistent in wins and top10 finishes this season to finish at the top of the leaderboard. 

John Rahm is coming off a huge victory after the BMW Championship last week, capping off his victory with a 60-foot birdie on the first playoff hole to defeat Dustin Johnson. Although he is starting two strokes behind Johnson, he is definitely a heavy favorite to take the title. His performance has been great as of late, especially on difficult courses. East Lake features an island green, lots of elevation changes and steep, sloping greens, making it a challenging course for all of the golfers. But, Rahm has been solid off the tee and around the greens, so he is my favorite to win the cup. If he can continue his consistency and play high level golf, there is no doubt he will be in contention come Sunday. He and Johnson are in the last group of the first day, and the entire weekend will feature great golf. 

On the other hand, my sleeper pick to win the tournament is Collin Morikawa. As the recent PGA Championship winner, he is definitely capable of coming from five strokes behind and making a run for first place. He has also been playing very consistently throughout the Cup playoffs, and has the best chance atwinning the cup out of the top four players.