Rejuvenate your body and mind with weekly Recovery Yoga

0
367

As the semester begins to ramp-up, University of Connecticut Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) partners up with the UConn Recovery Community to offer free Recovery Yoga sessions. The sessions will be open to UConn students every Tuesday, starting Sept. 1, on the north side of Wilson Hall’s grass area from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. 

The weekly yoga sessions are led by Zach Green, a recovery coach, yoga instructor and graduate student in SHaW. He has been doing yoga for three years, and has been recovering from his former addiction for five.  

Students enjoying a session of recovery yoga outdoors. Photo by Amy Chen of The Daily Campus.

“What we’re doing with Recovery Yoga, is expanding outside of just a recovery meeting format,” Green said. “We want to incorporate something new but get people to work around some of the feelings and trauma they might store in their brains.”  

Green mentioned that especially with classes being online it’s important for students to take breaks by doing yoga or taking deep breaths to refocus your mind.  

At the start of each session, participants gave introductions and discussed a topic to express their feelings prompted by Green. During the session on Sept. 8, he gave the prompt of describing what recovery meant for everyone. Participants brought up change for the better and accepting one’s mistakes.  

Photo by Amy Chen of The Daily Campus

After each person spoke, everyone was told to take a big breath in and out in order to reframe the feelings they had, according to Green. For the final 30 minutes of the session, Green focused on Vinyasa yoga, a form of yoga which help connect breath to movement. Some of the yoga poses practiced at this event included the fetal, downward dog, bridge and supine pigeon positions. 

“I really am addicted to feeling good,” Green said. “This yoga has provided me that feel-good and self-acceptance of who I am as a person, so it feels great.”  

At the session on Sept 8., there were about six participants. Green has mentioned plans to keep the sessions going through the semester, with a rainy day alternative setting in Wilson Hall, room 126 for a six-person class session. Students are also given a free yoga mat while supplies last. He hopes more students will attend the yoga sessions in the future, as there has been trouble with attendance since the start of his sessions last week.  

“Personally, for me, I used to do gymnastics which would cause a lot of stress on my body, but yoga really helped me recover,” Amirah Foster, a first-semester science undecided major who attended the event, said. “I thought the recovery yoga was very relaxing and calming regardless if you are in shape or not.”  

Photo by Amy Chen of The Daily Campus

College is stressful for students normally, but now with the pandemic encroaching on campus, everyone needs an outlet to relax more than ever. If you are feeling overwhelmed or need to talk, maybe Recovery Yoga could be that outlet for you.