Thirsty Thursdays: Sunsets over Horsebarn

0
177
To kickoff the school season, we decided to mix up a “Tequila Sunset” from Delish. In our version, the tequila flavor comes through strong, but without the usual burn of a shot. Photo courtesy of @bobajaglicic on Unsplash.com.

Although the summer sun is setting, summer drinks live on. To kickoff the school season, we decided to mix up a “Tequila Sunset” from delish. And while it tastes delish, it definitely didn’t come out as planned. 

Delish wanted us to combine a cup of ice, 1.2 ounces of tequila, 4 ounces of orange juice, half an ounce of grenadine and a mandarin for garnish. Being that we did not read the directions closely, a cup of ice ended up being only two ice cubes, 1.2 ounces of tequila became two shots and we added orange juice until it felt right. Also, we don’t mess with grenadine. We’re not about that high fructose corn syrup life. Instead, we used an organic cranberry pomegranate juice. And while a few mandarin pieces were thrown in, their main function was to provide a snack accompaniment, rather than to improve the drink itself. 

In our version, the tequila flavor comes through strong, but without the usual burn of a shot. The orange juice provides a refreshing tang, without the overt sweetness grenadine would have provided. But is it as good as what it was supposed to be? Nah, probably not. 

Altogether, we have decided to recommend this drink in its altered state. It’s hard to miss the grenadine when you realize Delish wanted us to use less than a shot of tequila. Photo courtesy of @poojihaprasad on Unsplash.com.

Probably the most unfortunate part of this cocktail was the cranberry pomegranate juice. For one, it wasn’t anywhere close to being as sweet or sharp as grenadine, but it also wasn’t nearly as dense. Thus, rather than becoming a striking sunset, our cocktail was more of a muddled orange, with only hints of red toward the bottom. And even then, those hints of red were mainly accentuated by the red colored paper we laid out underneath the glass and the lit, red taper candles towering over it. 

Although she wasn’t as pretty in reality as her counterpart on delish, our version certainly beat out the recipe in one area. The alcohol levels of this drink were strong. Tea was spilled over it. You really shouldn’t mess with a girl when she and her friends are consuming this beverage. It grants drinkers a unifying anger that could mend or destroy friendships. 

The effects of this drink will vary greatly from person to person, especially when stomach content comes into play. Unfortunately for science, we also consumed wine and straight tequila shortly after the effects of the “Tequila Sunset” set in. That being said, the two shots involved in this beverage were powerful enough to keep drinkers drunk for the first hour. 

Altogether, we have decided to recommend this drink in its altered state. It’s hard to miss the grenadine when you realize delish wanted us to use less than a shot of tequila. This beverage is reliable. It is controversial. And it is guaranteed to make any (21-plus-year-old) person’s night a complete success. 

Please tune in next week for a next-level, far more advanced cocktail recipe. Although, as always, we can’t promise to follow it to a tee. 

Rating: 3.5/5