Skepticism towards Trump’s coronavirus response surfaces after leaked tapes

0
116
President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference at the White House, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020, in Washington. Trump is facing backlash in regard to his pandemic response after a leaked tape of him admitting downplaying the COVID-19 pandemic surfaced last Wednesday. Photo courtesy of Evan Vucci / AP Photo.

President Trump is facing backlash in regard to his pandemic response after a leaked tape of him admitting downplaying the COVID-19 pandemic surfaced last Wednesday. 

According to a poll that was released Sunday, conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News, out of 533 Americans, almost two in three Americans disapprove  of President Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic. 

35% of participants in the poll said they backed the president’s response to the pandemic, while a total of 68% of respondents said they do not trust what Trump has said about the virus and that his response was too slow.  

Amid these reports, a recent poll taken also by ABC reports a drop in his 55% approval rating since March, which is currently down to a steady 30% according to the ABC poll.  

These drops in numbers come after an interview surfaced between journalist Bob Woodward and Trump that was taken earlier this February.  

In the interview, Trump admits to downplaying the pandemic to avoid panic and that he was fully aware the coronavirus was “more deadly than even your strenuous flus.”  

John Hopkins University data shows that more than 6.4 million COVID-19 cases and more than 190,000 deaths have been confirmed in the U.S.  

The Trump Administration has commented on the tape and poll, stating Americans should be able to trust that President Trump is doing the best for the country.  

“Americans very much trust President Trump to help us recover with the economy, and Americans also believe that President Trump is the one who is best positioned to lead us to a vaccine,” Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller said in an interview with The Hill. 

Biden is currently holding a 5 percent margin ahead of Trump according to a Fox News poll also taken Sunday.  

A CBS poll released Sunday shows Trump is also falling short in the predominantly Republican state of Arizona, where Biden holds a 3% margin over Trump.  

Over the past 17 presidential elections, only one Democrat — Bill Clinton — has won the state.