Eddy Hall placed in quarantine following spike in COVID-19 infections

0
173

Effective at 4 p.m. on Saturday, residents of Eddy Hall in Alumni Housing at the University of Connecticut were placed under quarantine after an increase in COVID-19 cases in the building. 

According to an email sent to students, there have been four positive COVID-19 cases among Eddy residents in the last week. 

“This rate is disproportionate to the positive cases we have seen among other residential locations and is cause for concern,” the email said. 

The quarantine order will last at least 14 days, and will remain in place until testing surveillance shows a clear decrease in COVID-19 transmission. Eddy Hall residents are not allowed to attend in-person classes and will participate in testing twice per week. 

According to an article by the Hartford Courant, three of the positive cases in Eddy Hall were identified through “pooled sampling” and were students who were not already in quarantine. 

“This rate is disproportionate to the positive cases we have seen among other residential locations and is cause for concern.”

Over the weekend, there were 22 new positive cases of students living on campus at Storrs. 

Residents of Eddy Hall will be contacted by the Dean of Students Office to ensure that appropriate provisions have been made for them to participate in class remotely and will hear from Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) for an update on their quarantine status on Sept. 25.