Get Toasted: Using a waffle iron to create brunch staples

0
95
Photo via Courtesy of Author

I love waffles. The crunchiness from the iron, the softness in the middle and the crevices that allow an even distribution of toppings and syrup for a flavorful experience.  

I went out to grab brunch with a friend last week and while I was enjoying the waffle and all the fruit that decorated the top, I wondered what else can be cooked in a waffle iron. So I went to Target and picked up a waffle iron. Then I went to the grocery store and picked up some ingredients. There were highs and lows, but in the end – there were waffles. Here’s how brunch went.  

Disclaimer: Please be cautious when operating any appliances and monitor your food while cooking.  

Brownie Batter 

For the first waffle, I decided to go for something sweet. Chocolate, in my opinion, is delicious anytime of day, and who is going to stop you from having dessert as part of your breakfast? Not me—I don’t judge.  

After following the preparation directions on the box, the batter was poured into the iron. Minutes later, we had a masterpiece.  

Photo via Courtesy of Author

It tasted as good as it looks and the whipped cream only helps. The waffles were crunchy with some softness in the middle. Perfect for people like me that prefer end pieces.  

Cinnamon Rolls 

Next, I tried cinnamon rolls. After breaking the casing, I tore apart the rolls and let them grill between the waffle plates.  

Photo via Courtesy of Author

After setting them on a plate and adding an icing drizzle, I took a bite. Another win. The warm cinnamon bun taste was still there but the extra crisp from the iron only helped. The crevices held the icing in place which led to less icing residue. The only drawback was the mess of cinnamon residue burnt on the iron, but it was worth it.   

Croissants 

After this came the croissant waffle. After ripping a sheet of eight in half, the sheet of four croissant triangles was laid into the iron. 

The croissant batter cooked fairly quickly. The waffle was light and flaky, but thin. To thicken them up next time, I may try adding ham and cheese for a waffle panini (a waffini? We can work on the name later). 

A large croissant was made out of the remaining batter which looks incredible but was taken out too early and was still a little dough-y in the middle. 

Eggs 

Photo via Courtesy of Author

For the last waffle, eggs, milk and shredded cheese were whisked together and then poured into the waffle iron. The cooking time was fairly quick and the eggs weren’t sticking to the waffle iron. The eggs were firm and fluffy in the middle. The only downfall was the waffle could have used an extra egg to make the waffle thicker. 

Overall, this was a fun and delicious experiment. Who knew a waffle iron could be so versatile? Next time I host a brunch for my friends, I’ll have to bring out the waffle iron and shell out a variety of breakfast twists.