UConn students create ‘Find a Friend’ project

0
345

In September, a small group of University of Connecticut students created a project called “Find a Friend” that will connect participants seeking out friends on and off campus, according to a “Buy or Sell UConn Tickets” post.  

To participate, UConn students can fill out the Google Docs form that is linked to the Facebook group’s post.  

“We thought that since many students are either stuck in quarantine, living at home, or alone in their dorms right now that this would be a great way to connect students with each other,” the Google Form said.  

Questions within the survey range from asking about a student’s name and major to what their zodiac sign is, what their hobbies are and who their favorite social media influencers are.   

Samantha Soracco, a fifth-semester communications student, created the semester-long project alongside a small group of students from her communications class.  

“I sort of just came up with this idea for my group to do ‘UConn Find a Friend’ because I remember during quarantine a lot of people were putting out Google Forms to match people up for like a relationship or to have a buddy throughout quarantine,” Soracco said. “So I figured, we are kind of going through a similar time now with everyone having their own room, in like a dorm where they don’t have any roommates, or people are stuck at home and in quarantine still, so I figured that this is still a relevant time to do something like this.”  

“We thought that since many students are either stuck in quarantine, living at home, or alone in their dorms right now that this would be a great way to connect students with each other,”

According to Soracco, the project has already received 120 responses, and now the group is figuring out how the matching process will work.   

“I think my biggest goal is to really help freshmen out, because I think that they’re struggling the most because they just came to a new school and they’re alone right now.”

Soracco noted that the form will be open for responses as long as students wish to participate.  

“I think I’m gonna keep the form open so long as people are still submitting responses because we have the whole semester, and December is when we do our presentation and write up our final paper,” Soracco said. “So I think that it will be a semester-long thing. And I think that I will keep reposting the form periodically just because I think it would be good to keep it going since I have the whole semester to do it.”  

Soracco said her biggest goal for the project is to help out freshmen who may be struggling to connect with other students right now, especially after transitioning to a new environment.  

“I think my biggest goal is to really help freshmen out, because I think that they’re struggling the most because they just came to a new school and they’re alone right now.” Soracco said. “I think when I was a freshman I felt alone as it was, and I wasn’t going through a pandemic, so I think that they have it really tough in comparison to sophomores, juniors, seniors and even transfer students.”