PGA: Puntacana Championship

0
17

The PGA Tour heads to the Dominican Republic this weekend as the Corales Puntacana Championship tees off from the Puntacana Resort and Club. This is the third time the resort has hosted the Tour, and although there are not a lot of big names making the trip out of the country, there is sure to be some exciting golf ahead this weekend. 

The past two winners of the Puntacana Championship, Graeme McDowell and Brice Garnett, have both finished at -18. The cut line also has been under par for the past two years since the warm temperatures and relatively easy course have historically made this a very low scoring tournament, meaning there will be lots of birdies and eagles made throughout the weekend. It is sure to be a nice change of pace to see a little bit more success from the golfers rather than witnessing a massive struggle like we saw this past weekend at the U.S. Open.  

The major challenge these pros will face is the winds coming in from the ocean that can reach up to 25 mph on some holes. Many of the holes also border the water, bringing the ocean into play along with the high winds. However, many of the par-4s and par-5s throughout the course are much shorter than most courses on Tour, so players will have plenty of opportunities to score on the majority of them if they don’t find the clear Atlantic Ocean first. Also, the tropical weather brings palm trees rather than thick wooded areas, making the course more open and easier to save pars. This is setting up to be a low-scoring, fun weekend of PGA Tour Golf. 

My Pick to Win: Mackenzie Hughes 

Winning score: -17 

Final Round Score: 68