WNBA: Inside the Wubble

0
35
Las Vegas Aces center A’ja Wilson and Connecticut Sun guard Jasmine Thomas (5) battle for a rebound during the first half of Game 3 of a WNBA basketball semifinal round playoff series Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, in Bradenton, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O’Meara)

With this season being dedicated to the Say Her Name campaign, it is not a surprise that players are voicing their opinions about the recent news concerning Breonna Taylor. While not a single officer was charged in her death, officer Brett Hankison bore the charges of wanton endangerment due to bullets going into neighboring apartments. Las Vegas Aces’ A’ja Wilson referred to such action as a slap on the wrist when speaking with ESPN reporters. Wilson expressed how she will continue social justice work to help fight for Taylor once she’s able to leave the Wubble. Wilson, amongst others, has taken to social media to speak out against such injustice. 

Wilson and many others are in the midst of semifinals play, which continues over the weekend. Every team has ice in its veins in its fight to continue its season for a chance at a spot in the championship. Sunday will either end a team’s season or will bring the Aces and the Connecticut Sun into another round of play in the semifinals. The Sun was able to get the win in the first game and put up a lot of fight by the second game, although it lost. So, another upset for the Aces is quite possible. 

Seattle Storm guard Jewell Loyd (24) drives around Minnesota Lynx guard Odyssey Sims (1) during the second half of Game 2 of a WNBA basketball semifinal round playoff series Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, in Bradenton, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O’Meara)

The Minnesota Lynx and the Seattle Storm series on the other hand is tough to call. The first game of the semifinals proved to be the closest one played between the Lynx and the Storm because the Lynx lost by a mere two points. With Fowles out again, it puts more pressure on Damiris Dantas to hold off Breanna Stewart. Crystal Dangerfield’s presence on the offensive end is necessary for success as well, since she struggled in scoring in the first game. If the Lynx play up to par, it is sure to be a contender against this skilled and experienced Storm team.  

The Storm is familiar with WNBA championships since it recently won in 2018, while the Lynx hasn’t won since Maya Moore’s declaration to fight for social justice — specifically Johnathan Irons’s case. The same players that led the Storm continue to lead the Storm now, including Stewart and Sue Bird. Napheesa Collier is surely a force for the Lynx, and its capabilities as a team are there if it taps into it in this tough matchup. 

As league play has progressed and nears its end, awards continue to be given to highly regarded players. Betnijah Laney secured Most Improved Player, while Candace Parker received Defensive Player of the Year, alongside Dearica Hamby’s Sixth Woman of the Year award.