Wednesday, April 24, 2024
HomeNewsUSG Chief Diversity Officer-Elect resigns amid online harassment

USG Chief Diversity Officer-Elect resigns amid online harassment

The Undergraduate Student Government office. Chief Diversity Officer-Elect B Diaz has resigned, saying that after several days, they decided to step down as CDO in the interest of their mental health after receiving numerous hateful comments attacking their character and campaign online. Photo courtesy of Eric Wang/The Daily Campus.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) issued a statement announcing the resignation of Chief Diversity Officer-Elect (CDO) B Diaz.

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce my resignation,” said CDO-Elect B Diaz in the letter.

Diaz claimed that after several days, they decided to step down as CDO in the interest of their mental health after receiving numerous hateful comments attacking their character and campaign online.

Diaz explained that the attacks “consisted of blatant lies with apparent malicious intent.”

“My mission as a student leader has always been to cultivate a safe and inclusive environment for all students,” Diaz said. “However, it’s clear that those involved in this orchestrated attack against me do not seek to create a safer and more inclusive community.”

According to USG’s outgoing CDO, Damani Douglas, he also witnessed harassment towards Diaz over the course of the spring semester from multiple anonymous social media accounts.

“I am disheartened both by this conduct and by the effect it has had on B Diaz and other elected officials,” said Douglas.

After reaching out for further comment, Douglas added he found the comments that were made “reprehensible” and that he condemns them “in the strongest terms.”

“It is unacceptable and will not be permitted to continue in further elections,” Douglas added.

Diaz concluded the letter by saying they wish their “position to be filled fairly.” According to Chapter 4, Page 24, Bylaw XV of Election Regulations, the runner-up in the candidate’s election, Dibran Trepca, shall assume the seat.

This article was updated at 4:43 p.m. on March 11, 2021.

Caroline LeCour
Caroline LeCour is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at caroline.lecour@uconn.edu.